myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anchor upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor upgrade
    Posted: 05 May 2017 at 09:00
Has anyone tried a 20kg Vulcan or Rocna on a 385?
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 19:06
Hi Mark / Catherine
I have a 20 kg Rocna on my 430 made it myself wieghs 25 kg actually , Brillient Fantastic
If you go on line you can find drawings for the full range of Rocna anchors.
I'm sure there not there so we can all start making our own, but I could never bring myself to pay there £600 plus
David

Edited by bovine - 06 May 2017 at 10:09
MikeB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 06:41
Hi Mark & Catherine,
After 5 years I lost faith in my 16kg Delta. In the week before Christmas I installed a Sarca Excel 22kg (an Australian brand in the league of Rocna & Manson). The 22kg model was the recommended model for the size & weight of the 385. I took my yacht to Sydney for the New Year period. The Sarca set first time each time even in 15m of water & a mud bottom in Athol Bay, Sydney Harbour on New Year's Eve.
Naturally I had to extend the bow roller fitting. I extended it 200mm and, for the first time, my anchor is clear of the bow at all times.
Mike
Mike
charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 09:18
Mike
Have you tried your Sarca Excel in weed yet? I usually find that’s the toughest test. Our Delta is perfect in sand & mud.
Nigel
MikeB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 11:57
Hi Nigel,

Understand that weed is always a challenge with any anchor, but where we operate weed is not normally a major problem but remember I only fitted this anchor a few weeks ago so it is early days yet. And we had a southerly change on New Year's Day in Sydney Harbour and, again, this anchor held fast where the Delta had failed me dramatically in the past.
I have a copy of independent testing of a range of anchors in various conditions. Happy to share it if you would like to send me your email address.
Regards, Mike
Mike
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 03:25
I carry one of these for high weed areas. A Marsh Stockless. Namely Tasmania and South Australia. The Sarca is a good anchor. I would love to know how you extended the bow MikeB.
MikeB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 05:17

Templates were made for the side-plates & the chain slide plate extension & these were used by the laser cutter to cut the plates. The 2 side-plates & chain slide plate extension were fully tig welded. I inserted a bolt with back nuts at each side plate at the original location of the roller for extra stiffness but that was not really necessary.
Regards, Mike

Mike
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 06:20
Got it. That is very interesting and great work! Is the extra weight noticeable at all, and is it harder to reach the pin?  
Phil O. 
MikeB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 10:21
Yes. The extra weight is noticeable. It is a significant weight increase & you are lifting it a further 200mm out. But the most significant thing is that you are releasing an anchor that has actually dug in & doing its' job like you haven't experienced before.
Re reaching the pin, the pin never worked from day one when the yacht was new because the hole in the Delta anchor did not align. For the first time I now have a pin that actually secures the anchor. Sure, it is a reach but it is worth the reach.
Best Regards, Mike
Mike
charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 09:46
Hi Mike

Thanks. I’d be interested in receiving the anchor test results. Nice work on your anchor changes.

Nigel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>