myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tunnel bow thruster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tunnel bow thruster
    Posted: 13 July 2017 at 09:33
It seems that the retractable bow thruster supplied by Hanse is starting to malfunction after some years. Until now I have managed without the device, but now I'm planning to install a bow thruster.
In this forum I've only found the retractable model, and the exterior-mounted Side-Power/Exturn, and both models seems to recieve some bad remarks.
The Hanse 370 which is quite similar to the 400 has several examples with a tunnel-thruster, mounted approx. 1 meter from the bow.
Therefore I wonder if anybody in this forum have dared to mount a tunnel-thruster in a 400, and if the functionality was in order? (The flat bottom/the waterline is the challenge)
In my boat, there is a space in front of the water tank 75 by 75 centimeters with a height of 45 cm, which seems okay for a tunnel-thruster. The distance from the bow is from 1 meter to 1,75 m.
The drawing from "Skippers manual" (1:60) indicates a distance of 55-60 cm from the bottom to the waterline (1,70m from the bow), and my own sketchy measures points toward a distance of 45 cm from the inside bottom to the waterline.
Technically this should match the demand for at least 15 cm of water above the tunnel.
Any usable comments to my problem?
Sailors Salute
Kjeld

Edited by Captain Cook - 13 July 2017 at 09:35
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 09:49
Today I made a more exact measure of the waterline compared to the inner bottom. 
In front of the watertank there is 35 cm from the GFK bottom to the waterline.
Due to the curvature of the bottom, there must be a minimum of 2 cm under the tunnel, and with a tunnel of 18,5 cm it leaves 14,5 cm of free hull material under the waterline.
A close call when the minimum distance is 15 cm.
Furthermore the structural strenght of the hull with two large holes very near the bottom has to be considered. The tunnel will be molded in GFK, but there may be a weakness anyway.
I would like to recieve usable comments from users of Side Power/Exturn exterior thrusters.

Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:08
These are the reasons why I went for the Exturn solution. Afetr 4 seasons I can say that I am very happy with it:
-super efficiency
- very quiet
- Installation in one day

Mine has a separate 90 Ah AGM iin the bow charged by a separate BtoB charger from Sterling. Joystick at helm station and a additonal wireless handheld remote  to which I have also connected the anchor winch ).
Frank
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:46
Originally posted by Fendant Fendant wrote:

These are the reasons why I went for the Exturn solution. Afetr 4 seasons I can say that I am very happy with it:
-super efficiency
- very quiet
- Installation in one day

Mine has a separate 90 Ah AGM iin the bow charged by a separate BtoB charger from Sterling. Joystick at helm station and a additonal wireless handheld remote  to which I have also connected the anchor winch ).

I have the same experience on my 400 as well! Very happy with it! Clap
Hanse 400#655
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 21:34
Thanks to Fendant and alidal, it seems like the Exturn it may be.
Please tell me which model you purchased (3,0 kW-24V for the Hanse 400 I presume) and if there are issues to consider when I plan to let a skilled mechanic (my son-in-law) mount it.
BR
Kjeld

Edited by Captain Cook - 16 July 2017 at 21:36
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 07:21
I have the 300S. (They have changed no. from 300S to EX95)

(The link did not work, I dont now why!)Thumbs Down

Edited by alidal - 17 July 2017 at 07:25
Hanse 400#655
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 01:02
The Exturn EX95 is now eagerly waiting in the garage for Freya to come out of the water and be equipped with a new bow thruster. Having retired from the treadmill, I had time to check the prices in different contries in the EU. The factory of the device is located in Norway, and the price in Norway is quite reasonable. The cost of freight to EU must be extremely high, because in Denmark you have to pay 35% more than in Norway. In Spain they charge some 40% more. In Germany just 20% more.
Do not take this message as the gospel - check out the prices yourself.
The lesson to learn, is that you can save a lot of money, just by checking prices on the internet. If you have friends or family in the U.S. or Norway, you may have ways of buying from there.

Edited by Captain Cook - 12 April 2018 at 01:02
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 08:05
Be aware, that buying from the US triggers off duty and VAT payments. On top of it you have to pay freight and customs clearance fees, should the latter not be included in the freight quote.

Demark is known as the best place in Europe for non VATted car purchases:)

Have fun with your EXTurn

Edited by Fendant - 12 April 2018 at 08:07
Frank
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 20:32
Instalation in our 385, Vetus. 95 Kgf. Overpowered but you need only a third hand when it goes bad, than all power is welcome !

Works fine, minimum of parts and maintenance, only the zinck anode has to be changed on a yearly base. 

Best regards
/C
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 19:47

Install of tunnel thruster on our 400e just done.  Relaunched 3 weeks back and delighted with the performance.  Sailed the boat without it for 5 years but it's perfect when having to push the nose through the wind at slow speed in tight marinas (you try to avoid it but you know at times its got to be done that way!). 

Took a lot of advice from the trades at Hamble Point UK before going ahead.  Especially as it's the epoxy hull.  However, there are many installs like this out there.  The install is very very solid below the tunnel.    The motor on mine is a Sleipner SE80.  So far sailing performance doesn't seem to be noticeably different, even if it breaks my heart to lose 0.1-0.2 knots to it :- )  

Mark

Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>