myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freshwater under the floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don Newport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 10:28
Hi all
I offer the following as much for amusement/salutary lesson as anything else.  We have never had any problems with water in Enigma's bilges, so a bit concerning earlier this year to find water swilling around under cabin sole nearest door to the head.  Mopped it all out and the easiest place to wring out the towel was on the floor of the head - switched on the shower drain and pumped it all out.  Now to find where it had come from, and sure enough within a few minutes there were was water back in that compartment.  Eventually discovered that the source was a poor seal on the shower drain filter and I had just been recycling the water - doh!  However, in the process it did become apparent that the water was getting trapped behind a lip under the shower compartment floor, especially when heeling, and it took several goes over several weeks before I could really say that I had completely cleared the water.

DON
Don Newport

ENIGMA, Hanse 341 (2003) berthed Hamble. 3 cabin, wheel steering, 1.75m draft, Yanmar 3YM30, Kiwi prop.
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 14:10
So that I did not get water returning to the shower floor when I switched the shower pump off, I fitted a simple non-return valve just after the shower pump.  It makes a lot easier to dry the shower area now.  
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 22:18
I fitted a garden hoselock fitting in the shower hose just before the pump. I have a long length of hose with another hose lock fitting coiled nearby. I can disconnect the shower hose & plug this into the pump line & i use the hose as a wandering line to suck up small areas of water such as under the floor boards & under the engine. I have a short length of 8mm copper pipe that i can attach to the end & poke through a hole in the cabin floor to save lifting the floor board to remove any water underneath. Being a small diameter one can remove very shallow depths of water that may be trapped behind any floor stringers.
The shower drain does not clear all the water from the tray properly & i sometimes use this to remove the last drop; especially if I am only cleaning the heads area & swilling a bit of water about.
This does not solve your leak problem but makes it easier to clear up the mess until you do

Edited by samuel - 21 September 2017 at 22:19
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Russplatt View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russplatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 09:55
Hi

Over the years I have suffered with small amounts of fresh water in the bilge. The culprits were:

1. The shower drain. Fresh water with no pulsing of the pump.
2. The stern shower. Fresh water with pulsing. This one took an age to locate. Now isolated by a ball valve.
3. Corroded unions under the galley tap. Fresh with pulsing. Absolute bugger to undo.

Still slightly wet so using (award winning) Aldi nappies. Will try the water heater pressure relief valve......

Liked the idea of tapping into the shower drain pump line. Input or output side?
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 13:40
Originally posted by Russplatt Russplatt wrote:

Liked the idea of tapping into the shower drain pump line. Input or output side?

Input side so it sucks up the water then discharges it overboard.

Edited by samuel - 22 March 2018 at 13:41
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Russplatt View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russplatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 13:58
Good point.

Started with Hoselock connections still sealing in suction and then had a venturi thing going on! Wacko

Will try it.

robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 14:45

Martin&Ren,

I like your idea of fitting small bulkheads in the starboard Lazarette and wondered if you could tell me how / where you have mounted these, or you may even have a picture? I am looking to do similar on both port and starboard as I fitted a Raymarine Autohelm last season and have a tiller arm both sides now. I want to protect these from things that may fall down and compromise the steering. I was thinking of some sheet aluminium but where exactly and how to fit I have not decided yet, so some pointers from you would help. This is a job for the next month I think now that the weather has improved.

It’s amazing the variety of answers and options for resolving that have come from one question about water in the bilge but does show the ingenuity of Hanse owners. I particularly like the idea of the wandering hose from the shower drain as I have a removable paddlewheel for the log and when I change this with the plug I always get at least half a gallon of water in the forward salon locker which takes ages to remove with a sponge, so I will be giving that idea a try.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 21:32
I thought somebody would ask me that question sometime, but unfortunately I have only taken a picture of the port locker.  I have just glassed 2 pieces of 50*25 mm wood to the bulkhead at the front of the locker and the inside of the transom.  The actual bulkhead is just a piece of 12mm plywood, with a couple of stiffening pieces on it.  The bulkhead is just secured with 3 screws.   Getting the right shape of the panel, so you can just get it in and out is the fun part, as I do this every winter when draining the system.    

In the starboard locker, I have used a similar construction, but now it only covers the top of the locker so that nothing can fall against the steering arm.  It is a useful place to hang the power meter when we are in our home marina.

One more tip for this area.  I have a short piece of string that connects the socket and the plug for the calorifier.  I do unplug the calorifier when I am leaving the yacht for a few weeks and having the string makes it easy to retrieve the plug. 

I fitted a water filter on the supply to the galley sink.  Everything seemed watertight, until I ran the engine, heated the water and this raised the pressure in the water system.  At that point one of the hose connections leaked, so double jubilee clips were fitted.  Yet another cause of an intermittent leak!

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 14:06
Thanks this gives me some idea on location and as you mention the one on the other side is at the top so i think mine will be at the top on both sides.
Is that your water heater i see in blue and black behind the mini bulkhead?
Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 21:12
Robh
Yes, that is my heater and since all the hoses are at this end of the calorifier is why I first installed the bulkhead as one of the hoses had been knocked and the joint leaked. I finally solved that problem with loctite.

I have seen a picture of a yacht with the heater under the starboard berth.  I suppose there are advantages and disadvantages for each position.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>