myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backup pilot / windvane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backup pilot / windvane
    Posted: 04 August 2017 at 17:00
Hi, for some longish navigation I would like to add a backup pilot to my hanse 400e year 2007.
My setup now is simrad ap 16 autopilot + Jefa DD1 motor unit.
Any suggestion? Has anybody tried to add a second autopilot? which brand? Which setup? Where? ;-)

Second question: has anybody experienced a windvane pilot (on a similar Hanse: ie after 2007). Which brand? How did it perform? Suggestions?
Best to all and fair winds!
J
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 18:14
Hi Stria
This is something I've been thinking about for some time, I also have the ap 16 system , if the DD1 motor is the one with a sprocket that engages with the chain linking both wheels then we have the same set up.
The problem as I see it is, if the auto pilot packs up your hand steering , if you have a broblem with the chain/ wire steering you also loose the auto pilot, so a second auto pilot motor set up needs to work directly on the rudder quadrant . It would be good to stay with the AP 16 system as both set ups will act as spares for the other.
I already have two control heads and two computers, just need to spend a £1000 on a hydrolic ram .
David
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 20:02
HI All,
I can answer the questions about backup pilot and windvane,as we did fit Uhambo with both.
1°Backup pilot: Uhambo was equipped from the factory with Simrad AP16 and Jefa sprocket drive. I installed a backup pilot with Simard AP 24 and Jefa DD1 connected to the rudder stock.
We sailed with from 2011 to now, about 30000 NM

2° Windvane. We fitted an Hydrovane self steering gear in 2015 in New Zealand and sailed most of the long passage since.
The Hydrovane sailed perfectly the Hanse 430. Much better than the first windvane we installed before leaving for our circumnavigation. It was a Windpilot Pacific Plus with auxiliary rudder whiich was too slow to cope with a modern hull like the Hanse.
We have had very interesting experience when using the Hydrovane and the Simrad in true wind mode: the boat was sailing strait through the confused sea of the Indian Ocean, with some 25-30 knt backwind two reefs in the main and the full jib pooled.
Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 14:36
Hi Alain,

Very intersting. I have AP24 + DD1 on  my Hanse 400 from 2008. I have made pre-order for Hydrovane but have delayed to delivery for coming year. Did you mean that engaged both DD1 and Hydrowane at same time working together?

Best Regards
Kari
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 14:51
Hi Kari,
Yes I did. The interesting point is that the Simard work with the true wind and the Hydrovane with the apparent wind. When the swell is quite high, the Hydrovane get the support of the Simrad wind vane which much higher.
I have done extensive trial after we fitted the Hydrovane when I was in New Zealand. For example, we sailed the whole trip between New Zealand and New Caledonia (some 1000 NM) with the Hydrovane only. Sometime it was difficult to get the boat balance particularly with the very tough crossing sea of Tasmania! But we learnt a lot, and the Hydrovane is really capable to sail modern boat like the Hanse in serious conditions.
Best Regards
Alain

UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 14:59
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Stria View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 20:58
Thanks a lot for your replies, particularly Alain and Anne. Your old post regarding windpilot almost put me off re wind vanes. I am happy, though, that even with a modern hull there is hope ;). And I think the possible offset of Hydrovane to the centerline of the boat is a great advantage. I think I'll go that way.
Best
J
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 18:50
Hi

We have a 2007 400 and have a hydorvane. Fitted in Southampton and has sailed us to Tahiti so far.

We have nly had to use the combination of electric autopilot and hydrovane a few times when the wind was > 20kn and confused following seas
Hanse 400 2007 - Back in NZ
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 08:52
Originally posted by Alain & Anne Alain & Anne wrote:

Hi Kari,
Yes I did. The interesting point is that the Simard work with the true wind and the Hydrovane with the apparent wind. When the swell is quite high, the Hydrovane get the support of the Simrad wind vane which much higher.
I have done extensive trial after we fitted the Hydrovane when I was in New Zealand. For example, we sailed the whole trip between New Zealand and New Caledonia (some 1000 NM) with the Hydrovane only. Sometime it was difficult to get the boat balance particularly with the very tough crossing sea of Tasmania! But we learnt a lot, and the Hydrovane is really capable to sail modern boat like the Hanse in serious conditions.
Best Regards
Alain

Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 09:00
Hi Alain.
Thanks. Then simrad wane being up may then react a bit in advance to wind chances? Does it benefit that simrad works on true wind?
Kari
 Post Reply Post Reply