myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anchor locker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor locker
    Posted: 02 September 2017 at 04:24
In 2015 the anchor windlass shelf on Tangleberry rotted out and broke. I decided to repair it permanently, I never liked the wooden shelf.

I designed an aluminum mounting bracket in 6MM 5052 alloy. A local shop fabricated it for me at very reasonable cost. The most expensive job was removing the traces of the old wooden shelf and cleaning and repainting the inside of the locker. I could have done it myself but I hate grinding fiberglass.

Anyway, the new bracket runs down the center of the locker and doesn't touch the sides at all. The forces on a winch are primarily upward at the back and downward at the front. My bracket bolts through the chain locker bulkhead aft and the lip of the locker forward. It is far stronger and more solid than the original wood shelf which always flexed under load. There is no movement now at all.

This bracket was designed for the Lofrans Cayman 88 windlass which was factory installed. The original remote was damaged by water ingress so I mounted foot switches aft of the windlass.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 21:08
Interesting. Which Hanse boat you own? Was the wooden self you had made by Hanse?
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 23:53
It is a 2002 model 371, the original installation with plywood shelf was by Hanse at the factory. At first it seemed OK but I fitted a Rocna anchor because the original Bruce kept dragging in mud. The Rocna digs in fast and if you are moving at all makes a big jerk on the windlass. This caused the plywood to crack and after several years fracture. When we took it out is was rotting in the areas of the cracks and where the bolts for the windlass passed through.

The new bracket will outlast the boat.Tongue

Edited by gshannon - 14 June 2019 at 17:59
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:38
Hi Grahame,

I am looking to install a winch, there is no shelf in my locker. You're solution looks excellent. Would you be able to post a picture of your installation?
Thanks
Brian
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 17:44
I can do better than that. I have the fabrication drawings which I can share.  This is Autocad DWG format, readable by many other programs.

The mount was designed for the Cayman 88 windlass by Lofrans. If you want to use a different unit you can change the design. I suggest mocking it up in cardboard or light plywood to verify fit.

I'll take some photos when I am at the boat today.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 09:27
Thats fantastic Grahame, thank you.
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 16:25
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNScPYjB67fFvP0J60X2d8wuXOz9sSmmT2Q2Pr5KhvejoHLsZdXp9zs_xZnYHCw0A?key=bHJpSk1XaUszN2cxcTlHY0ZzMlF6QkFSeFgwNUJB

These photos show the Anchor locker and windlass base, and how it fastens. 

The original windlass remote failed and I made a DIY substitute. This also was starting to fail when I installed the new mounting.

I used foot switches just behind the windlass. The first set were cheap Chinese ones which worked for two seasons then the rubber went all gummy and they became unreliable. This season I replaced them with Lewmar units which seem better quality although similar in design, and fitted the same mountings. Time will tell.

In retrospect I should have had the mounting plate anodized for appearance sake.  The oxidized alloy needs a good cleanup.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 09:28
Thanks Grahame,
Thats clever. I was looking at running a shelf off the back bulkhead but that would have limited access to the locker, I like the way you can get at both sides,
brian
 Post Reply Post Reply