myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anti foul In Portsmouth Harbour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti foul In Portsmouth Harbour
    Posted: 20 November 2017 at 13:51
Just been searching the site for topics about antifoul - it only seems to come up with entries in 2017, none of which answer my query. I would have thought this topic has been covered before but since I can find it, I apologise in advance to trouble you, if some have already previously contributed on the subject. 

Scotch Mischief  was antifouled (except the sail drive and propeller) with Tiger Extra in late March and has been berthed in Gosport Marina from early April to early November, with excursions up and down the Solent ( and occasionally further afield) every other weekend. 

When lifted out in early November there was a thick 'fur' of weed to all wetted parts (and also much longer leafed fouling to the sail drive shaft and propeller. 

In the previous season I tried Micron, with much the same results. I know about the PBO test report a year or so back but I'm lead to believe different antifoul paints suit different locations.

Has anyone found an antifoul that suits Gosport Marina or elsewhere in Portsmouth harbour (other than Marinas with a lock - which will have there own different environment)?

Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 22:02
Hi Andrew, I've also been using Tiger Extra in Gosport Marina, as recommended by a couple of companies that work there, and like you I have suffered from quite a significant build up of fouling especially around the waterline where it seems to build up within a week.  I use a "Scubbis" to scrape the hull before going out (racing) and it is impressive how much muck seems to build up.  I tried lying down and putting my hand under the water to see what it was like and I could feel quite a bit of slime on the hull.  Last year when I had the boat lifted in the Sealift around mid-year, the saildrive and prop had prodigious amounts of weed on them so this year we tried a particular black anti-fouling on the saildrive (can't remember the name of it) but I'm not convinced it has been particularly effective either - will see when it comes out in Jan.  Funnily enough I did not seem to get the same degree of fouling when I was in Haslar even though it is just around the corner.
One last thought - as you are in Gosport, why not come along and join the club class racing in the Portsmouth Sailing Club Spring series.  Starts late March on Saturdays through to end of April and is usually a lot of fun, or if you happen to be a serious racer they also have an IRC class.Smile

Alan.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 22:15
The PBO report recommended Seajet Shogun for Portsmouth. I have been using this in Port Solent for several years and have no complaints. Apart from a usual short green skirt around the waterline there has been just a thin coat of slime around the rest of the bottom. 

Please note, though, that Port Solent is largely stationary and brackish rather than free flowing salt water that you have in Gosport (although only 3 miles away) so the results may be different for you.

Edited by High Time - 20 November 2017 at 22:21
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 11:42
Thanks guys for your comments so far. Alan l I'd be interested to hear/see how Hobo looks when she's hauled out in January. Meantime we might have a go at  the Portsmouth Sailing Club Spring series, but we're not actually members of a Portsmouth club. Does that matter?
Andrew

AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 20:20
Hi Andrew, I'll also be interested to see what Hobo is like this year.  I've got some pictures from 2015 of some horrible growth but the files are too big to post here.
Regarding the racing, Most people who take part are not members, myself included though I keep meaning to join!  It tends to be a very friendly group with beers back at the clubhouse after the racing, they even provide a RIB to take us over from the marina. Smile  The club can often find you some crew if you are short and I've even borrowed some crew from the other boats on the day when I was down to 2-handed.  You also don't need to enter for the whole series, you can just turn up for one day and see if you like it.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 12:56
Thanks Alan 

I'll Perhaps have a go at a bit of racing with you guys in March / April. meantime, please do let me know what the bottom looks like when you haul out.

Best regards
Andrew

AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 20:38
Managed to compress my pictures so here is what the fouling looked like in 2015 - particularly the prop as demonstrated by the crew Smile.  The following year I took the hull back to the base, applied 5 new layers of Gelcoat and 2 of anti-fouling.  It made a huge difference to the performance!
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 20:43
Well that did not work as expected.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 08:30
My solution was to stick copper coat on the hull ( cost me £ 1050-00 doing it myself for a 31 ft hanse)
it does not work very well, but holds off the weed if the boat does not sit too long, but moves, & saves antifouling each year.
I then have the boat lifted & washed mid season, as well as end of season, for the lay up.
Once the initial cost of coppercoat is written off in ones mind, the cost of the lift & wash mid season is far better & cheaper than all the work sanding & painting & cost of paint. Plus the boat goes faster overall because mid season it will be spotless.

I do not get the weed around the saildrive seal in the picture in the last post because I do not have a rubber seal. I got fed up loosing the seal & filled the void with sponge cushion finished flush with the hull & glued around the edge of the void with builder's adhesive. i then smear the surface voids with grease each year prior to launch. Whether it is the grease or the flexing i do not know but it has been in place 6 years & each year there is no weed on it. I keep checking to see if it has rotted away but it seems to hold up very well. This year it is coming out for a new saildrive main seal replacement.

I do not apply paint to my Brunton Autoprop but smear that with thick grease & that comes out fairly clean as well. The river Blackwater is considered a fairly bad area for fouling

Edited by samuel - 26 November 2017 at 08:40
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 14:16
Alan
The picture of the fouling looks like just slime? or is it weed? 
Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>