myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where to put a new tru hull and a watt&sea POD?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to put a new tru hull and a watt&sea POD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to put a new tru hull and a watt&sea POD?
    Posted: 04 January 2018 at 09:08
Hi sailors!

Happy 2018 to all!

We're planning on getting a new tru hull fitting installed for the water maker. We have a portable gasoline powered rainman water maker and we'd like to be able to run it while sailing. One 3/4" tru hull + valve would be enough. Need to be 100% of the time under the waterline in normal sea conditions.

We're also planning to get a Watt&sea POD installed (2 M8 bolts + electric connector). Recommended location is behind the keel... but I see that difficult on the 430 (GRP frame is hidind the proper hull).

For those 2 pieces of hardware, I am thinking of using the bildge between the galley and the aft heads. Easy access for work, close to the battery bank, lots of ports to get the hose out for the water maker. This bilge is the same than the one for the galley drain, but right on the opposite side.

My question is: is the hull solid (plain GRP) at that place (like under the galley) or is it sandwich? I'd prefer to avoid drilling into the sandwich. On some bilge area (front of the keel, in the heads, in the galley) it is easy to spot those no-sandwich zones... but are there more of them?

I have tons of technical docs, but none that show the solid laminate parts of the hull. Does anyone have that?

Where would you put this POD ootherwise?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
nibheis
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 14:31
Hi Nibheis,

My understanding is that the sandwich zones are from the waterline and up.

An alternative location of the pod or watermaker could be in front of the keel.
Less disturbance in waterflow, but more vulnerable for fishing nets and other garbage in the water...

There are a large void under the floor without inner lining there:

I cut this opening and placed the forward scan transceiver there.

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 18:52
Hi Nibheis;
Some thoughts:
1° The tru hull fitting could be easily installed at the bottom of the companion way. It will be closed to the cockpit as the engine and exhaust need a bit of fresh air!
2° Regarding the W&S pod, I agree that looks as a smart solution...but that won't be the easiest place to get rid of the kelp or fishing lines you will get one day or an another. Having sailed more than 25000 NM with a W & S I must admit I have had to release it more than a few times due to kelp caught by the propeller. 
Otherwise I would think the less worst location could be behind the keel to get it protected!...if possible.
Alain

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 17:04
Thank you all for the info.

I'm pretty sure we'll install the Watt&Sea Pod right behind the keel.
There is an unused bildge in the center (the one with the last bolt from the keel). In that place, the inner GRP moulding is glued flat to the hull. I just need to remove the center floor board.

I know we'll most probably have to dive to free the prop from fishing lines from time to time... we got a 50 m fishing line wrapped around the keel in Morocco while sailing at night, and a plastic bag in the prop in the Med.
Also, it looks like we can more or less stop the W&S prop with the push a button ; maybe we can use that when the water is not safe.

I ordered a 3/4" bronze fitting with strainer here in Las Palmas ; when we get the boat hauled out, I'll check again the options for the location of this new fitting. Maybe right next to the galley sink out? If we even go for a sea water cooled fridge compressor, that would make sense.

BTW, I just checked again and I am sure that the complete hull is mostly sandwich construction, except the places where the fittings are installed (galley, heads, front of keel, transom)

Regards,
nibheis
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 09:16
Hi Nibheis
I have placed the intake for the watermaker in front of the keel. You have to consider if you want to drink the seawater from near the galley drain/toilet drain.
Regards Kjeld
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 13:51
Nice point, the filters will appreciate ;-)
We'll only use this intake while sailing... but, yeah, you never know what the future holds. Maybe some day someone will use this thruhull for making water on anchor.

That leaves me with the following locations:
- front of the keel, port side / oposite to the fore heads
- port side, behind the keel

I need to make sure the thruhull with strainer will not be on the way of the slings when hauling the boat out.

BTW, where do you get the slings when hauling the boat?
- below the main bulhead (mast/keel level)
- below the engine

Some time they put the back sling between the saildrive and the rudder... I don't like that :-(

nibheis
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 15:30
This is how my boat has been lifted the last 2 years:

But I guess where the slings are placed, will be dependent on the equipment in the marina you use, and wether you lift the boat with or without the mast.
Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 17:09
Hey, that's a fork lift! I never saw that :-)
I've used cranes (with and without spreader beams), and I don't really like that, especially the one time they lifted the boat without the beams, grrr.

The slings on your photo look just rightly placed. I'll try to get the markers ready before next time. We'll probably use a travel-lift. This should be fine, except that sometimes travel-lifts cannot get the slings close enough and one of them need to go behind the sail-drive. Well... we'll see.

Thanks for your reply!

nibheis
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 13:07
Quick update: we got Soledad on the hard in Las Palmas. Very nice and professional workers at Rolnautic yard. Good equipment and prices are OK too.

We got the W&S pod installed 10 cm behind the back of the keel. The POD will be well protected. The provided studs were of the right size.

Painting (primer and AF) the POD did not go as smooth as expected, we had some issue with the primer on one part of the POD (the primer made bubbles! arrg). We sanded, degreased and cleaned the 2 parts the same way, but this only happened on one of the 2 parts both made of aluminium and powder coated... after several unsuccessful tries I decided to apply first a layer of Primocon, which solved the issue (touching wood...).

For the watermker, I installed a new bronze thruhull 20 cm starboard of the DST sensor. I confirm the hull is solid (no sandwich) in that specific location :-)

Photos to come...

nibheis
https://agile4life.blog

Edited by nibheis - 09 March 2018 at 10:23
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 11:18
Here is how the hull look like around the DST sensor:

Here is for the Watt&Sea POD location:

Top is 10 cm back of the keel and 10 cm front of the GRP beam inside. It could have safely be moved 5 cm back. I like this location because it feels well protected by the keel (the bottom of the L shaped keel goes back something like 50 cm, just like the POD).

Sorry, I forgot to get a full picture of it...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>