myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pushpit / Mooring Cleat Reinforcement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattplowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pushpit / Mooring Cleat Reinforcement?
    Posted: 28 April 2018 at 21:34
I am looking at changing the setup on our Walder boom break to run the line back to the cockpit (currently needs to be set on deck which is not ideal when solo). I have a copy of the reinforcement plans for the 355 but they show that the pushpit is not reinforced (which is not overly surprising) but they also indicate that the mooring cleats on each side of the stern are not reinforced?

Ideally I would attached a block and clutch system to the ring on the pushpit and failing that use the mooring cleat as the termination point.

Can anyone confirm if the mooring cleats are reinforced (notwithstanding the fact that the plans say they are not)

cheers
Matt
355v #47 Little Honey

Edited by mattplowman - 28 April 2018 at 22:01
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 09:34
Don't worry.
Pullpit fittings are strong enough for this purpose.
I have spinnaker blocks, RRG line and spinnaker tackline set there.
A boom brake has not a such significant load.
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
mattplowman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattplowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 01:01
Thank you , Pullpit it is then!
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 08:13
Originally posted by Brufan Brufan wrote:

Don't worry.
Pullpit fittings are strong enough for this purpose.
I have spinnaker blocks, RRG line and spinnaker tackline set there.
A boom brake has not a such significant load.

Having had my pulpit come loose (others on the forum have had this happen I believe)whilst i was leaning against the guard rail at the helm I examined the fixings.
You may find the same on your pushpit. It is a piece of 6mm studding spot welded to a plate on the bottom of the post. so I would suggest checking-- it may not be as secure as one thinks.

Edited by samuel - 15 May 2018 at 08:14
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 16:47
I have had the front mounting on my 341 fail, as it was manufactured in the same way that Samuel described.  There is only one post fitting at the bow on the 341,so it was not well designed to withstand side-way forces from people who forget to push on the toe-rail, rather than on the guardrail/pulpit.  Sideways force on the front of the push-pit are also not very good as Samuel has found.  Because of its shape, the push-pit is better able to withstand fore-aft loads, hence why Bruno gets away with it.  

I would think the view on the mooring cleats is that the load will again be basically horizontal and so the  fittings are in shear and the bulk of the fibreglass will be able to withstand those loads.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
mattplowman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattplowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 21:53
Thank you for the reply's , they are appreciated ,  I have mounted the block and clutch system to the ring on the pushpit and we have raced several times with this setup. On Sunday we were in 20 - 25 knots of breeze and did 3 gibes , the boom break loaded up fully and all seems ok so far! Will update if I have a bad experience with this setup.

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply