myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autopilot problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autopilot problem
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 19:06
Hi all
I took Water Colour out for first sail of season couple of weeks ago and found autopilot wasn’t working.

Basically was just looking for the AP to hold our heading to allow me to move away from helm.
On returning to marina checked the compartment under floor to find it was flooded due to the drain hole being blocked, so cleared blockage to let water drain out.

Returned last weekend to see if it would work having dried out but no.

I’m sure this happened before a couple of years ago and draining and drying sorted the problem.

When I press the auto button on the AP (Simrad) it comes up with an error on the display and there is no movement on the linkage under the floor.

Apologies for vague description but if anyone can make any helpful suggestions I would be grateful

Thanks

Geoff
Geoff
Water Colour - Hanse 400 #471 Sail number GBR 3471 L
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 19:16
If it is the same as on the 370 of 2008 vintage the autopilot motor housing is not totally waterproof.  Apparently it is designed to be placed in a dry compartment and operated by push rod...
On mine the "pancake" motor had corroded and was not working.  I believe this led to an "overcurrent" fault showing on the AP head.  I contacted Jefa and purchased a new one as I was out of warranty.  There is also a fuse in the motor assembly that has probably blown.
I reassembled using  very significant quantities of sealant and it has been OK for the last 5+ years.
If yours has been totally flooded then I suspect the internal electronics have also been destroyed so you may be looking at a new motor assemble. Sorry!
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 22:51
While the problem is likely the flooding, make sure the fuse near the computer has not blown. Last year we went for our first sail and the controller was giving an error message and nothing happening. There is a fuse in a rubber cap near the computer (in our port lazarette) that was blown. I changed it and everything was fine. 
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 05:17
As others have suggested, check the wiring and fuses first. If all is okay there then likely the motor in the unit is gone. Common problem particularly for early drive units, they weren't sealed very well. You can easily take the unit out and take apart to have a look at the pancake motor. If it's all rusted up then that's likely the issue. Contact Jefa service, they can provide a new motor if necessary and have detailed rework instructions. Great service help.

P.S. also if you search this forum you will find more than one thread covering this topic

Edited by Rubato - 03 May 2018 at 05:17
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:36
I would have opened it up. Also open up the motor. Probably fixable.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
 Post Reply Post Reply