myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinlock clutch bank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
landlocked View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinlock clutch bank
    Posted: 15 January 2024 at 16:19
Well noted about the capping nut, this makes good sense though I never tried removing one.   

As for the "tired phillips heads", yes you are right but this damage was already there.   This is also why I was worried about further damage, but with the proper #4 driver size I had no problems.

Owen.
"Kerkyra" 400e #042
Ggerrit View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ggerrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2024 at 16:03
Looking at them, could it be the ‘bold-head’ is actually a capping nut ?
So when one would hold the threat with a vice grip, the head/nut could come off ?

Yess, thats how changed to a 6 pieces bank.....
H400 2008 2 cabin
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2024 at 10:57
Great pictures landlocked !

Looking at them, could it be the ‘bold-head’ is actually a capping nut ?
So when one would hold the threat with a vice grip, the head/nut could come off ?

Also looking at your pictures the Phillips #4 heads  look a bit tired.

by the time I get to this, perhaps looking to replace the 10-20 bolds with torx or hex head.

Very useful indeed, thanks.

Peter
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2024 at 08:58
My next modification will be a 2:1 main halyard, maybe even in only 8mm. That reduces the problem very easily I hope!
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 21:01
Originally posted by Kox Kox wrote:

Instead of the horn cleat, I'm using the genua winch, to keep the main halyard from slipping.
If you're using the genua, the selv tacking winch should be available.
I have the cabin-top traveller so my main sheet normally “lives” on what you refer to as the self tacking winch, otherwise yes I could probably leave the main halyard on the winch.  My primary winch in the cockpit has either the jib, genoa or spinnaker sheet.
"Kerkyra" 400e #042
Kox View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 20:29
Instead of the horn cleat, I'm using the genua winch, to keep the main halyard from slipping.
If you're using the genua, the selv tacking winch should be available.
Hanse 315, Ella, Hull# 640
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 19:58
Handshake
Very useful

Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 19:45
I aplologize in advance for the huge post, but...
For reference, here are a lot more photos showing the sequence of disassembling and re-assembling the clutch bank "in-situ".   As Rock pointed out, you can't do this if the long lateral bolts are inserted in the other direction as they will bump into the coaming, but I didn't have that problem on my boat.
Some things to note:
- Use a soft punch if you need to persuade the rods to slide out.  Otherwise you'll have to file down the bumps you've made in the rod (voice of experience).
- I had lots of galling and oxidation on and around the bolts.  Applied anti-seize compound when I reassembled.
- Note the wear is mostly on the cams but also some on the bases.
- Lots of rope "fluff" to be cleaned out - I'll try to keep on top of that going forward!
- There are lots of little bits that could roll away and get lost - beware.
- It's a little tricky sliding the rods in through the framework, the cams, and the little plastic spacers all at once.

"Kerkyra" 400e #042
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 18:48
Hi Rock:

You can see my horn cleat in these photos

I wish I had added this cleat 17 years ago as it not only prevents slippage while sailing, but reduces the wear on the halyard, cam and base that results from the slippage.   In my case it was a quick and easy modification (for a boat project), but it was greatly simplified by the modifications that were done to install my electric winch.   The fiberglass ceiling panel had been cut out and a wood/fabric headliner installed so all I had to do was to remove the headliner and I could place fender washers, lock washers and nuts under the deck, which is quite thick in this location.  If you have a fiberglass ceiling you'll need to cut a hole to access the underside.
The clutch has to hold the tension in the halyard when you first hoist the sail but the cleat provides backup when the sail is loaded by the wind.
"Kerkyra" 400e #042
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 15:42
I guess I was lucky the bolts on my starboard bank were reversed so I could pull them out to port.   This means you have to unbolt the whole bank from the deck while the cams are still in place.   The driver I have would not be long enough to do that.   Maybe if you’re lucky a big screwdriver will work and you won’t need an impact driver.  If you get the bank out you can reverse the bolts for next time!
"Kerkyra" 400e #042
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>