myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Problem
    Posted: 15 July 2018 at 12:14
Dear Hanse friends,

Yesterday I came back to the boat after 6 weeks and I discovered that my batteries have lost 214 Ah of capacity.
The voltage was 11.8 V. My Victron battery controller showed 0.00 A current. When I left the boat 6 weeks before the main switch was off and the victron showed also 0.00 A. In the mean time the victron registered the loss of 214 Ah. How can this happen? I know that the VHF works without the main switch and the light at the entrance. Both were off.
Is there any other part consuming electricity? Has anybody made a similar experience?

Greetings from Ugljan, Croatia

Axel

Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 15:47
Axel,

Your bilge pump/s are connected straight to your power source and will run with all battery switches turned off. Could you have had water in the boat? Have you check the bilges? Check the bilge pumps are able to run by moving the float switches. If they don't run they may have had a fault and kept running until they burnt out?
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 17:59
I got my batteries drained completely on 445 once when leaving the boat I closed all secocks and coming back I found that aircon condensation sump pump was wired around the kill switch and so kept going pushing water into closed seacock until the juice ran out from the service bank. 750 Eur lesson right there.
Axel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 18:21
Dear Wayne,

I checked the bilge pump. Everything ok. Bilge is dry. Pump is working properly.

Dear Konstantin ,

this sounds serious! The seacock was closed. You are sure that the condensation pump of the aircondition is not connected to the main switch? Our batteries are not yet destroyed,  but nearby.

Greetings
Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 19:41
Hi Axel,
Ive just had to replace my AGM batteries. They were 5 years old and I found that when they were left with no charging sources connected they would self discharge at an alarming rate.
When I got the batteries tested at full charge one was at 35 amp hours and one at 41. Both are 165ah batteries. This all happened very fast, not a slow deterioration at all. So it may pay to check your battery health.

Failing that. Find the shunt for the battery controller. Are there any other negative sources connected before the shunt on the battery side? There shouldn't be, because if there are their current wont be measured on the controller. The battery will drain but the meter will just show 0 amps.
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 20:08
Hi Alex, yes unfortunately, I found out the hard way. When I connected shore power the first buzz I heard was the aircon sump pump helplessly trying to pump the water through the seacock I closed myself 2 weeks earlier. That happened last year so the scar on my heat healed )))
As for the batteries I now run "dead-cell test" regularly to check if I have a faulty cell in the batteries developing. Google it or look here https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/blog/how-to-troubleshoot-deep-cycle-battery-issues/
PeggyLeon View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggyLeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 20:15
Hi...i got a new charger installed and the installer did not put the settings via laptop for battery type etc, but I do not believe that this is the reason as they were not "cooked". Maximum charging is 14.5 Volt which is line for AGMs. Now the charger goes to absorption and float within minutes. As we have no shore power I can not use the float for a couple of hours to see if they fully charge.

Edited by PeggyLeon - 19 September 2018 at 20:59
Axel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 18:19
After returning to the boat after 8 weeks, the batteries were still full. I kept the sea valve of the aircon open. It seems that this was really the reason.

Greetings  from Croatia sitting in the rain

Axel

Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 19:22
Once I had the same problem when I keped the Victron Multiplus on the wrong setting! 
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Joey D View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 21:56
Question:  Are the forward and aft bilge pump inside the plastic box for the Air Conditioner condensation? One of my units won't stop running when I turn the DC panel on and there is no water in the box??  Thanks for any help  Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>