myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drain from starboard cabin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormaasen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drain from starboard cabin?
    Posted: 20 August 2018 at 18:47
We often have (fresh)water pooling under the floor of the starboard cabin in our 2007 Hanse 400e. Unlike elsewhere there is no drain holes towards the pump. Is there any reason not to drill a hole under the door (see pictures)? 

Oh, by the way, the fresh water came from a leaking seal in the freshwater pump - exchanging that now but also looking for a way to have drainage anyway...
Stormaasen View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormaasen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 18:57
Oh, forgot the image..
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 19:33
I has similar in my port side cabin on my 370.  Very similar arrangement.  Caused by the window sealant failing.  Repaired by Hanse under warranty.
Since then it has remained dry so I would not bother to drill holes not knowing what you may drill through - for example, a wooden stringer that then starts to rot as it gets wet...
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 08:22
check out your water pipe connections.
we for exemple had a problem with one of those after the valve for the shower to the hose you shower with.
There is only coming water trough it wenn taking a shower, and because of that we only found water after we took a shower.
gr Marcel
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 09:45
I think the pictures show the port cabin just aft of the Heads. This area flooded on my own boat due to 'stealth leaking' from a badly-seated hull valve in the Heads compt. When the space shown in the pictures floods it leaks under the door frame and all flooring before filling up the next void space immediately in front of the Heads door. This section does have a drain hole that eventually leads to the bilge pump after it has followed a very peculiar route mid-ships to what I believe is the lowest point onboard, under the sink locker. 

I understand that its common for Hanse 400s to have a slight list to port which probably accounts for this and there are other void spaces without drain holes.  I would agree with Peter that it's probably not a good idea to go drilling through them without detailed knowledge of what's there.  As a precaution, I now lift all boards every few weeks to check for hidden leaks.
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
 Post Reply Post Reply