myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

irc rating for 385

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: irc rating for 385
    Posted: 14 September 2018 at 07:52
I've just applied for our irc certificate.  RORC tell me there are a couple of other ratings for 385s out there, but not enough to list us as a standard hull so I've had to gather all the measurement information myself.  As such I might have made a few errors, so if anyone has a rating it would be good to know what rating you have so that I can check I am in the right ball park.  I applied with the 105 genoa not the ST, and an assymetric A2 spinnaker as my biggest flying sail.

Mark
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 11:51
Hi Mark
Can’t help you much but we went through the same process on Night Train, just gave ST jib and a Furlstrom gennaker and they gave us 1.031, which reduced to 1.030 on renewal which I guess is age related?? I think the bow and stern overhangs are quite important so I did try and measure those quite carefully.
Above 10 knots we can just about sail to that, above 15 and we are very happy!
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 14:11
Thanks, we sailed under.996 in club races (local handicap) so that's about right as you are a bit bigger. Measuring the overhangs was difficult as you say. Let's see what happens.
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 20:25
Certificate just arrived at 0.976,pretty close to our club rating so sounds about right and I’m happy with that.

Mark
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 04:48
Hi, last year we raced against two Hanse 400’s and I noticed that their handicap was much better than ours. I asked the race officer who is also the SE Asia IRC official why this might be, he looked up the three relevant certificates and said that their were significant differences. 
He also asked who measured the boat originally, I explained that I had used the standard Hanse data coupled with my own measurements of the overhangs. It turns out that in IRC experience there is very rarely a ‘standard’ boat and that the overhangs should be measured when the boat is empty (IRC definition; turn it upside down and see what falls out!) This includes taking off all sails, the anchor and chain. He also suggested we actually measure the sails rather than rely on sailmaker dimensions. 
After 2 hours hard work, Night Train floated about 5cms higher and bobbed around like a cork. 
We then had IRC measure the overhangs and sails. From the jib measurements they decided to measure the forestay length as it seemed wrong.
To cut a long story short our handicap reduced from 1.029 to 1.011 which is worth over a minute per hour :)) And we had a good excuse to have a serious de-clutter and spring clean. As we didn’t want to lift the boat out to weigh her, they also gave us an allowance for the non-standard extras; teak decks, air-con etc
All in all well worth doing
Paul

Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
 Post Reply Post Reply