myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reefing Configuration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reefing Configuration
    Posted: 24 December 2018 at 17:54
I bought a 2006 370 this year and trying to figure out the re-arrangements made by the previous owner. Concerning the reefing system it is currently rigged with automatic single line reefs on #2 and #3, with #1 rigged as a standard manual slab reef.  But there is no bull horn at the inboard boom end to attach #1 reefing cringe at the tack.  The Selden mast and boom i believe are the original ones. Could anyone give me information on the "normal" rigging arrangements for the reefing system.  In particular;
- How to attach the manual reef at the tack?
- Can it be rigged for #1, #2, and #3 to be all automatic?
- are there travelling pulleys inside the boom?
- Any hints for maintenance of this reefing system.
BR
Steve Rawson
350Bob View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 16:13
I cannot help you directly with the 370, but it may be similar to our 2009 350. When we bought her 4 years ago she still had the original main and it was set up with single line reefing to reefs 1 & 2 and no third reef. Last year we bought a new mainsail with a third reef point which I am just setting up. The problem with our Selden 350 boom is that although there is a spare block at both ends of the boom, the one at the mast feeds out only in a downward direction (like the outhaul) and not upwards as would be required for a full single line reef system. Consequently I bought a Barton reefing hook which fixes where the normal tack fitting is situated which will then take a reefing pennant.

This is obviously a bit of a compromise as I will still have to leave the cockpit to attach the reefing pennant at the mast for the third reef - unless anybody has any better ideas?

Bob
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 15:59
Originally posted by Srawson Srawson wrote:

I bought a 2006 370 this year and trying to figure out the re-arrangements made by the previous owner. Concerning the reefing system it is currently rigged with automatic single line reefs on #2 and #3, with #1 rigged as a standard manual slab reef.  But there is no bull horn at the inboard boom end to attach #1 reefing cringe at the tack.  The Selden mast and boom i believe are the original ones. Could anyone give me information on the "normal" rigging arrangements for the reefing system.  In particular;
- How to attach the manual reef at the tack?
- Can it be rigged for #1, #2, and #3 to be all automatic?
- are there travelling pulleys inside the boom?
- Any hints for maintenance of this reefing system.

You are speeking about the original Selden mast and boom....
Original mast and boom in 2006 are from Sparcraft, not Selden.
Never seen an original with Selden in 2006.
Ours is also from 2006 with Sparcraft performance mast.

About the reefing single line system, I do not use that anymore, I have the hooks at the boom fittings at the mast side.

Gr Marcel

Edited by alettaenmarcel - 26 December 2018 at 16:00
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2018 at 23:28
I have a 2006 H370 with a Sparcraft mast and boom.  If you have a Sparcraft boom I can help. Let me know.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2018 at 11:57
This is how I tackled this problem.

http://www.myhanse.com/single-line-3rd-reefing-setup_topic10548_post88610.html?KW=reefing#88610

and I think there is a bit more info here

http://www.myhanse.com/cunningham-and-outhaul_topic5417_page3.html?KW=reefing

For a 370, I think I would go up a size on the Harken blocks that I use on the leech lines.

On my latest main, I have sewn in pulleys on the 3 luff reefing points and on the 1st and 2nd leech reefing points and just a eye on the third reefing point so I can still use a soft shackle to attach the 3rd reef line when I think it may be necessary.k
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
350Bob View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2018 at 14:08
Hi Martin&Rene,

Thank you so much, what a great way of setting up the 3rd reef given the existing boom configuration. I will definitely set up like that as soon as we get back to the boat.

Now I am only kicking myself for not having thought it through before, or even doing a proper search on this forum

Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply