myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autopilot below deck on 315

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autopilot below deck on 315
    Posted: 12 August 2019 at 20:49
Hi all
I'm looking for a thrustworthy solution in self-steering for our H315 build in 2007, with tiller. I have a Simrad tiller autopilot, I think the TP22. Even with a good sail trim it does not perform like I want or need: too slow, variation in degrees too big... 
Did anyone install an autopilot below deck (like the Raymarine Ev-200 or other)? Can it be installed on a 315 with tiller? Is the steering much better than the tiller-mounted-autopilots?

Pieter

Edited by Pieterman - 12 August 2019 at 20:50
Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
fiddler View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 09:58
Hi,
I've had our 311 since 2001, and used a Tillerpilot TP30 all that time and I don't have the problems you mention.    You might find that a simple upgrade is the most practical solution;  you should definitely not consider clamping anything onto the rudder stock below deck - see the MCIB report on the loss of 'MEGAWAT'.

Regards   
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 16:52
Stupid question I know - have you calibrated it?
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 16:58
I had the TP22 on my 311, and after upgrading to the TP32 the boat was much better on the tiller pilot. However, I must admit, on my 'new boat', a Dehler 36JV, I have a Raymarine below deck pilot, and that really is a great pilot. I have it in combination with the EV-100.
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 08:54
pieter
My tp32 lasted longer than both my raymarine T 2000's but still burnt out. I have a third T 2000 as backup but it is above deck so not what you wanted. Furthermore the raymarine must not get wet as it will fail. There are loads of forum posts about water getting into them and raymarine denying a problem. I have a cover for mine.
My first T2000 went hard over, put me on a bank & I lost my rudder as a retsult!!!
I have the above deck version of the tiller steered av100 and it is rubbish and has caused me some seriously dangerous moments. If the boat broaches off course 70 degrees the pilot cuts out and the arm  stays in an extended position resulting in the boat eventually going back on course then into a gybe. Not what you want in 25kts of wind
It also cuts out if worked hard for very long.
At least the ST And TP models try to bring they boat back on course properly if the boat veers off course due to a broach in big seas

I have had the Raymarine dealer upgrade the software in 2018 so am confident that is not the problem. I only have it connected as steer to course and no other instrument to avoid conflicts. 

In many ways the Simrad TP 32 is the best but i had to change to Raymarine  at short notice when it burnt out

Now you know why I have an Aeries on the back of my boat👍

Edited by samuel - 15 August 2019 at 09:01
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 20:25
Grumpidatagit, I think I tried to calibrate it and also I experimented with the Gain and the Seastate.

Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
 Post Reply Post Reply