myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints and Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

430e Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 430e Review
    Posted: 14 September 2007 at 09:43

For those who haven't spotted it, there's a four page review of Hanse UK's demonstrator 430e, Custard Pie, in the October 2007 edition of Yachting Monthly magazine which was published on Thursday.

In summary it says she sails brilliantly and has head turning beauty but the interior design is not best suited for serious passage making.

Ed
Ed Essery
Scorpio GBR 9824T
Hanse 342#465 - Solent Based
John @At-o-ma View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John @At-o-ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2007 at 08:43
Yes a fair review Ed.I was on Custard Pie for the Round the Island race and steered her part of the time. She is a dream to helm and with a full length mainsheet traveller,dyneema haylards and especially dyneema reef lines she will go like an express train.
In the review the fact the leech of the jib was not tight was down to the stretching of the haylard which can be seen in the wrinkles in the luff of the headsail, a problem we had.If the luff is firm then the leech will "shorten" a fraction and the leech tension will be ok. Cannot beat good quality haylards.
In the photoshoot the second reef line had stretched causing the leech of the mainsail to be "open", not an option in windy conditions.
BUT those carbon wheels, well words escape me!!!The lack of weight on the wheel the helmsman is not using causes that extra perfect feel to other wheel.She is an absolute dream to steer.
The minor teething problems will be put right, the fact that she is a sailing beauty is here to stay.

John Brierley.
Enhanser of Conwy
Terry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2007 at 09:19
John that's great to hear,I also have Helmed C PIE,its great.
I own the 430e at the show and can't wait,I also are haveing the Carbon wheels,I am concerned about the Halyards, but thought I would give it a while before changing,as I have spent£££ enough so far..believe me..
Toy's Toy's.Tongue
Terry
sveino View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sveino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 13:00
Hi !

Is it possible to find the review online ? Yachting Monthly is still not for sale in my "town". Frustrating...

Sveino
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2007 at 14:27
Hi Guys,

I confirm the problems with the lines supllied with the 430.
Problem with the two halyards leading to overtension and break!!
I did use a cunnigham with the main but had a lot of difficulties to get the right tension on the jib: good at the top but poor at the bottom and if good at the bottom it is too tight at the top!!
Solution change for dyneema lines!!

All in all she's sails well!!

Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising

Our blog:uhambosaniez-uhambo.blogspot.com/

nnilex View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nnilex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2007 at 04:36
Hi,

Have one question and it“s about the traveller for the main. If you/I choose to get it in the cockpit. Is it placed "above" the seats or integrated? Anyone who knows and maybe even got a picture?

Best regards

nnilex
Gennaker View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gennaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2007 at 21:04
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Hanse 430 but I have a few concerns about the boats sailing ability. In the Yachting Monthly review they have two reefs in Force 5. Is this really necessary in 18-20 knots of wind. Those of you who have sailed a 430e could you please tell your own experiences of the boats sailing abilities. Can you take the boat out at all on a windy day?  In what windforce do you reef (going upwind)? Is rounding up the problem? What do you do when the wind is 23-25 knots?

Gennaker

Richard108 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2007 at 22:08

Hi Gennaker

I do not have a 430 (1 have a 540) but all the Hanses are similar in that they have a large main sail / high mast and you will need to reef earlier than other boats.  The upside of course is that most of the time including in stronger winds you sail past most production yachts.  See previous discussion on reefs on this forum at

I have three reefs in my main, though the 3rd reefing lines have not yet been set up.  Recently sailing in 35 knots I had 2 reefs in and if the wind increased would have started to want my third reef.  I have Quantum cruising laminate sails.   The reefs in my main sail I think have been set larger than most with the 1st reef at 82% of the main sail size, 2nd 61% and 3rd 40%. 

You also might find Ghosts experience in the recent Fastnet interesting as they had very strong winds and rough conditions for the race.

Regards Richard

("Moksha" 540 #115 delivered Sept 2007)

Pittwater, Sydney, Australia
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 08:17
Hi Gennaker,

We logged 2460 NM with our 430 e Uhambo and from our experience we take the cunningham at around 12-13knt, the first reef at 18-20knt and the second over 25-27knt.
In fact when beating against a 20-25knt northwind around the Cape finisterre we were having two reefs and making 6.5-7.5knt at 35°-40° with a very tough sea. The boat is very powerful and does'nt stop.
On downwind we sailed 12 hours at 130° AW with gale Force 7 with 38knt gusts. I had to put the main down: No 3rd reef, a lot of waves and the pilot worked very well but very hard!!
We were doing 8.5knt with the selftaker only.
The max speed we reached  till now is 11.2 with 2reefs and full gib under 25knt 120° AW.
The boat is very safe and I would not hesitate to take the boat out at all on a windy day.
UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising

Our blog:uhambosaniez-uhambo.blogspot.com/

Terry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:19
I took delivery of my 430 the weekend,and put a reef in at 16k
mainly because I panicked!!!
New boat and not so experienced

TerryLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic