myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse upgrades on Tangleberry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2017 at 17:55
Daumen hoch
370#641 "aqua d`or"
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 00:53
Removed the old plastic shower grate on Tangleberry, and made a new one from teak slats obtained from Island Teak on Vancouver Island.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 18:03
Looks great Grahame
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 18:32
Thanks Steve. Just got moorage in Thunderbird, on G - 4, not far from your boat.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 01:06
I just upgraded the electronics on Tangleberry to add a touchscreen Chartplotter (Raymarine Axiom 9) and Class B AIS.  I put the whole instrument package in a new Navpod.

This is the old setup:

The GPS is a Garmin, and the Raymarine Seatalk 1 instruments needed a special NMEA 0183 adapter to communicate with the GPS. This was removed along with old GPS. The Axiom 9 is NMEA 2000 only so I needed a different adapter for it to talk to the instruments.Smile  Fortunately the new Navpod has plenty of room inside. 

This is the new setup:

The new screen is big and bright, and the touchscreen is intuitive, it works just like a tablet with pinch zoom and pan, long touch for information.  I haven't learned all the functions yet, but it doesn't look too difficult. I don't have radar or a "fancy" sounder or cameras, but all that is supported.

The AIS, an Em-trak B-100,  is mounted behind the chart table and I was able to use an existing wire from the previous setup with new plugs to make the connection. A good thing because there is no room at all in the pedestal guard for more wires. It has it's own GPS antenna which is sensitive enough that I just dropped it in the space behind the electrical panel and it works fine. I used an antenna splitter so the AIS and VHF radio share the masthead antenna. Everything worked on the first try.

Edited by gshannon - 14 January 2018 at 01:08
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 17:35
I was wondering what was going on under the cockpit tent... :)
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 22:51
That and keeping the green stuff off the dodger. Went out yesterday in the fog. Eerie to see BC ferry on the chart and be able to verify the position by the sound of the horn while seeing nothing but a circle of maybe 100 m in diameter.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 19:29
Espar Heater

Last weekend we spent the night onboard the boat on a short excursion to Gibsons. We noticed that although the Espar D4 furnace was working, very little heat came out of the outlets in the aft cabin and the head. There was good heat in the main and forward cabins.

Yesterday I investigated and found that the duct to the aft cabin runs across the boat through the "garage"  just behind the bulkhead and then through the machinery compartment between the engine and the fuel tank. The hose through the storage area was crushed, mangled and had holes in it. No wonder there was little heat getting through. It was a 3" / 75 MM  corrugated fiber hose, installed in 2002 and unprotected so I suppose it was due to die!

A trip to Home Depot yielded a much sturdier piece of aluminum hose which comes in lengths of about 3 feet which can stretch to about 8 feet. One piece was enough. Before and after photos:

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 01:27
The fuel gauge on the main panel stopped working a while ago. I bought a cheap sender and gauge package on Amazon.com. Installed it by the included directions. It sort of worked but read 1/2 full when topped up and empty when 1/2 full. After testing (I determined the Gauge was OK but the sender was faulty. I paid up and ordered a WEMA 10" 25 cm sender (the tank is 11" or 28 cm deep).

Before installing it I tested and got perfect readings. Now I have a fully working fuel gauge again. I installed it at the forward end of the aft bunk in the aft cabin, as close to the tank as possible, all wiring easy to see. There was a spare fuse position on a terminal block under there. I fitted a push button switch, and it runs directly off the house battery so you can check the fuel anytime. 

Cheap "Universal" sender on left, quality WEMA (or KUS) on the right. Twice as expensive but worth it. The gauge is shown working below. I wire the light to the switch so it lights up as it shows the reading. The water tank reading on the main panel still works.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 19:43

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>