myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radar pole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Morten S View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radar pole
    Posted: 11 August 2008 at 19:53
Here we go.. Scanstrut pole mountet on starboard.. (Great info John Wink  )

Ontop we have the radar and a Triax TV/Radio antenna.

We will later mount a deck ligth.

/Morten

Edited by Morten S - 11 August 2008 at 20:00
John Allison View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:42
The mast will not noticably disturb the radar signal either forward (if randome is on transom) or aft (if randome is on mast face).  But keeping the weight low will help righting moment. 
JOHN

Edited by John Allison - 12 May 2008 at 13:46
No longer a Hanse owner - but loved the one we had!
wolf View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 09:02
hi i m new on this forum

sailing 470e-82

we have it (simrad) on the mast between jib and main sail, i thought mounted behind the mast would disturb the picture.

and the sails are not getting in contact with the radar so far

wolf
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 07:26
Thank you John.
UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 03:25
I also note Alain has repositioned his stern nav lamp onto the pole also.  This is a simple idea but IMHO a good one.
1.  Higher lamp, safer as extends range of light.
2.  Ideal lighting if BBQ on stern - or for safety on stern boarding.
3.  Will not be hidden if you add davits and carry a dinghy.
Now why did I not do this also??????
JOHN
leemind View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leemind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 07:42
Originally posted by Morten S Morten S wrote:

We are going to mount a radar pole on our 470 in two weeks, using the Scanstrut with flexible base.

Do you mean the Self Levelling backstay mount?

If so, I have just installed one on my 461.  I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll try and get some at the weekend if it is of interest.

One interesting thing to note with this install is that it is really designed for a single backstay, not a split backstay a la 461/470, so the radar is actually ofset by about 10 degrees, but on the Raymarine that is easy to adjust in software.  Also with the split backstay, the "foot" of the pole is not flat, but I mounted it on a bed of Sikaflex, though I'm sure you could fabricate a "wedge" out of something a bit more substantial.

I also put an AIS antenna at the top.

I actually found the whole thing very easy to install, which I did (along with the AIS and NEMA multiplexer) over a weekend.  The hardest thing was coping with the near gales and freezing rain that weekend!

I know the AIS doesn't replace radar, but I think it is a very impressive bit of kit, especially when you get the radar "paint" overlaying an AIS "ship" on the display.  Very useful for checking the calibration of the radar!

Any questions just ask!

Cheers

David 461#028

Grand Cru
Hanse 461#028
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 18:17
Hi
Looks that I made the same mistake!!

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 16:45

Hi - as you can see above - we had a custom pole made for our 461 to take Radar plus GPS, Natvex and long range wi-fi antenna.
But we placed it wrong side - as I later realised.  If you do get involved in a helicopter drop they always like to come in onto port stern - so correct location should be to starboard.
Cheers
JOHN

Wilkie View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 13:41
Hi Morten,
No I haven't but as i will have the same fitted in the summer I am looking forward to hear how you get on.
Mike
Morten S View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 17:56
We are going to mount a radar pole on our 470 in two weeks, using the Scanstrut with flexible base.

Has anyone got experience with this?

Maybe with pictures of how and where it is mounted…  Smile

mojn,

Morten

Post Reply Post Reply