myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leaking windows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaking windows
    Posted: 05 February 2009 at 12:22

No boat is 100% waterproof. But if the color on a 2 years old boat starts cracking along the window frames in the saloon there must be something wrong. You get especially annoyed when the water is dripping into the chart-table and over the switchboard. As these cracks are also visible on the other windows without hatch, it's definitely not the sealing around the hatches. Hanse is willing to replace the frames. My question is if something went wrong on our boat with the Sika sealing or wether the wood type - overpainted in white - is a good idea. Wouldn't a GFK-type be a better choice? (No water soaking and different exension reaction to humidity and heat)

Edited by tobo - 05 February 2009 at 13:14
Thomi
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 13:39
On my 370 these frames are made out of plastic. If this looks better than a wooden frame is another question.
So ask hanse if the new model of the 470 do have a plastic one.

The problem i see on your foto is the missing seal between the frame and the window. it looks like old windows in houses with simple glass , without double glasing. condensationwater can pour between the window and the frame into the unsealed wood. After sometime it presses the paint of and you have this problem on your foto.

See here: Foto of an old window (building) without seal with simple glass:
(new painted 3 Years ago in a bedroom with a lot condensationwater)

same building, other window, with double glazing with sealed connnection between woood and glass about 5 years old (also a bedroom):

Make sure that Hanse makes a complete sealing around the wood if they change it.

Edited by Peter-Blake - 05 February 2009 at 14:14
Blake 370
Brad McMaster View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 23:00
This is not good.  What do you think caused it? Simple expansion and contraction in different temperatures or have you taken some impact on the coach roof, perhaps some green water.

We ahve 470-058 and i honestly couldn't tell you if these frames are wood or plastic on ours.

B
GHOST - Hanse 470e - 058
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/ghost/
tobo View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 10:46
Our boat is #120 and after sales service sends me now plastic ones; I suppose this is the product of learning. As the boat is stationed in Croatia temperature differences can be big but I'm sure that something must have gone wrong with the sealing two years ago in production at Greifswald.

Edited by tobo - 07 February 2009 at 09:25
Thomi
Brad McMaster View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 10:50
Thanks for the update Tobo, We are in Turkey at the moment (well the boat is) so I'm hoping all it OK!!!

B
GHOST - Hanse 470e - 058
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/ghost/
Adam View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 15:11
My first guess would be that the cause of this is condensation. The window frames in our 430 are wet all the time now in the winter. We have plastic and aluminum frames, so it does no harm them, but at times we have to be careful of what we place underneath the windows :p

/Jørgen Adam
/Jørgen Adam Holen

wherever you go, there you are.
"firefly" 430e 2008
AnnSea View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 22:45
Hi,

all the windows on my 370e have this problem. As far as I can tell, it is the primer on the window that has failed, due to UV. The windows have to come off, be cleaned, primed (properly this time) and glued back on.

Apparently the guy who sailed his 350 across the Atlantic also has this problem.
Tim

AnnSea 370e #418
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 09:56
@Tim
Are your windows leaking or is it "only" the inside frame wich s coming off?

Blake 370
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 10:09
Just read on the page from sailyacht Doris that the windows are leaking. It seams Hanse has a problem!
Blake 370
AnnSea View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 22:53

@Peter - both. The window in the heads pretty much fell out completely - prior to that I had been getting water in the heads that I couldn't figure out the source of - I had assumed it was syphoning up through the basin. Then one day after a two week absence I was cleaning up the water in the heads again and noticed the window frame - it looks the same as in the first photo in this thread. I then noticed bits of black flaky paint. At one point I bumped the window and it was then that I noticed it was really loose - I could fit my fingers through the gap at the bottom. Obviously I then checked all the other windows and they all show similiar symptoms, although not so advanced as the heads window.

The "black flaky paint" is coming from the window itself - this material is meant to be Sika Primer 209 - I have no idea if it was actually used on my boat though - if it was then I don't see much point in repairing the windows using the same material. But I'll go through the process and see what happens. I'm sure that it's the window primer that as failed rather than the fibreglass primer (Sika Primer 206) or the actual glue (Sikaflex 295 UV).

Tim

AnnSea 370e #418
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>