myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

easy matic main sheet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 20:36
Hi

There you will find the main sheet system i use. A quick 4:1 for bigger adjustments and 16:1 for fine tuning. Works great for me!

Brg
Tricky
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 06:58
Gregor
Tricky has it correct except that for a 315 a single block on the dead end of the mainsheet is all you need to get 2:1 which doubles the existing 4:1   that 315's usually have  up to 8:1
If you can fit the extra jammer on the deck  clear of the main tackle then you can pull upwards & it does not get in the way of the gear when you gybe etc
If you do not have any spare blocks use your vang tackle as a spare just to play with for a quick test. However I think 2:1 is ample & too much rope gets in the way which is a recipe for a tangle at the optimum moment

Daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 06:59
Thanks for the info so far!

I don't have a spare violin block aboard, all are in use I understand this sure would improve the final trimming!

What keeps crossing my mind with this system, while sailing in stronger winds, it would still require me the same force to pull in the main as it is right now. That is what I would like to improve.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 07:46
@daydream believer: do you have a picture available to show how it is done at the 315? I try to imagine how it would look and I'm not sure if I get the picture.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 08:49
Gregor
Sorry no pics but the link posted by Tricky shows the details
the only difference I would make is a 2:1 tackle on the dead end of the sheet & if you have a track but still have the standard mainsheet deadeye on the cockpit floor I would fit the extra block to that so you do not have too much gear sliding along the track
It would allow a bit longer adjustment on the dead end & would not affect track operation
i am suprised you want more adjustment on the mainsheet for pulling in as the easymatic does not do that ( at least I do not think so) It is designed to be used as normal low power for general operation with the extra power for final adjustment which is exactly what the system Tricky & I have described does. I do not believe that the easi matic is worth the extra cost. In fact if you can fit the extra block onto the cockpit floor the system is better than the easi matic

Any way-- To change the subject I am off on 2 weeks hols tonight --- Yippee!!!
First to Ostend then into Dutch waters up to Whillemstad & back to Ostend
Hope to catch a couple of the bands in Ostend & if its rough the wife will probably do what she has done before - Offer her services on the N S Y C committee boat for the Belgian Dragon championships
I do not understand why but if it is rough she will go nowhere with me but quite happy to sit in a committee launch in F 7 for a couple of days

Women !!
daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 08:55
Funny my wife will do the same, she has been known to sit in a committee boat for hours in similar weather for dinghy competitions.
Dave
PS Good luck on your hols.
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 09:11
To see if I get the picture.

First I have no traveller. At the bottom one violin block and at the boom one block. In total a 4:1 system. My question is, what do I need to change to use less power for pulling in the main especially when sailing close to the wind. The thought was/is Easy matic 4:1 / 8:1.

By adding one block the the end of the main sheet, I would reduce the power needed to pull in the main. I'm trying to figure out the flow of the sheet through the blocks by drawing it, because I'm not on the boat. For every draw I make, I keep missing one block. So I probably overlook something, but waht??

The link Tricky sent has to do with fine adjustment, and although something to think of, it does not solve my question. F.i. in case of stronger winds, I think, it would still require the same force as it would without Tricky's improvement.

Gregor

p.s.
Have a great holliday!

Edited by Gregor - 07 August 2009 at 09:12
Uisge Beatha

Tricky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 10:48
Hi Gregor

The system i use will give a 4:1 purchase for fast adjustment and 16:1 purchase on the fine adjustment. This means you only need to pull with a 1/4 of the force on the 16:1 rope in order to get the same force downwards on the boom. If you pull with 1kg in the 4:1 you need only pull with 0.25kg on the 16:1 to get the same downwards force on the boom.

Brg
Tricky
Tricky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 10:51

Hi

will take a couple of pictures of the system i use an post this weekend.

Brg

Tricky

Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 10:53
Thanks Tricky, looking 4ward to it.
Uisge Beatha

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>