myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

easy matic main sheet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 19:02

Hi

First an overview:

Here a more detailed view:

Brg
Tricky
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 06:52
Thanks for the pictures! It's clear how you've improved the reduction on the sheet. What is your sheet handling when gybing?

These are the blocks I have.

I tried an extra block as suggested inthe post of Daydream Believer and noticed that the force to pull in the sheet got more. This maybe has to do with the fact that the blocks are over 6 years old. I used wd40 on the blocks to improve rolling. Did not help much.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
Tricky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 21:02
Hi

I only use the 16:1 when going uppwind. Its for really tightning the sheet and fine tune. When gybing i only use the 4:1 main rope. Remember not to let the 16:1 purchase get to "long" or the top block of it will stop in the main block and the purchase is reduced to 3:1Wink

Brg
Tricky
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 17:35
Gregor
there is no way that you need more force with my suggested arrangement as the extra block is on TAIL of the mainsheet & does nothing when the sheet is pulled in as normal.
You may have miss assembled the system
You do not need any more than 4:1 when pulling in the sheet from,say, a reach or a run, you only use the extra purchse once you have the boom " near enough" then you trim with the extra purchase.
If your blocks are worn then you have no hope. WD 40 is not advised for blocks - only freshwater rinsing.
I had a problem with my mainsheet jamming block & when i changed it I noticed that the block on the boom was distorted. They were Lewmar & I changed to Barton delrin bearing blocks ( mainly due to price against overpriced Harken  blocks) & that improved the situation a lot .
I suggest you think carefully about too many sheaaves in the tackle as you need such a long length of mainsheet & will get into tangles. It also makes gybing in a strong wind difficult as you cannot get the boom in quick enough & let it go in a controlled manner.
Too big a block on the mainsheet car will stop it standing up correctly ( even with a spring) & it will bear on the jammers & bend something.
I assume you have a track & that the pad eye for a non tracked sheeting arrangement is still in place. ( if not it is easy to fit one ) Your extra jamming block goes on the pad eye & the TAIL of the mainsheet has a single ( preff delrin bearing) block. You undo the fixed of the mainsheet & fit a single sheeve block. You take a sheet from the jamming block on the pad eye up through the block & back down the jammer.( you can increase this purchase latter but it is not needed) This sheet needs to be a different colour from the mainsheet & only needs to be about 6 metres long. Some boats use a smaller diameter sheet as with the extra purchase you do not need a thick sheet.
Your normal mainsheet works as it always has except that the tail is fixed to a the extra tackle. You can still slide the main sheet up & down the traveller.

Daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123