myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wind vane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wind vane
    Posted: 24 November 2009 at 08:05
Just out of interest, anyone who has a wind vane mounted on his/her Hanse?

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
Muscadet View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muscadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:54
I have a Raymarine wind vane on my 312. It is connected to my Raymarine autohelm. The Simrad IS15 sounder/log instrument supplied by Hanse is also connected to the Raymarine instruments using a Simrad/Raymarine interface. With the Garmin GPS connected into the Raymarine net using the NMEA0183 input all the instruments talk to each other and everything works fine.

Regards
Alan
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 12:01
Alan, Thanks for the reply. Could post some picture of the wind vane installation? I'm also interested on how you connected it to your autohelm.

Gregor

Edited by Gregor - 24 November 2009 at 12:03
Uisge Beatha

Muscadet View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muscadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 12:55

Gregor,

Here is how I fitted the windvane to the mast:

Sorry about the rough sketch but I don't have any photos of the vane mounting!

I led the wire down the mast, through the wiring gooseneck, then across inside the headlining. I then led the wire back to the pedestal (I have wheel steering) and up into the instrument pod. As the windvane and the autohelm are both Raymarine I simply connected the wind instrument to the autohelm instrument with a standard Raymarine Seatalk lead (see photo below).

I hope that is all clear.

Regards
Alan 

Edited by Muscadet - 24 November 2009 at 12:57
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 13:28
Ah, Alan, thanks for the work and posting. However..... I meant a wind vane to steer the boat without electricity or so ;-) The object you put behind our boat... a wind steering device.

Gregor

Edited by Gregor - 24 November 2009 at 13:50
Uisge Beatha

Nordsee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordsee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 21:45
Hi Gregor, we use a windpilot on our 315. Our experience with the windpilot is great and it also works very well on the baltic sea with the wind changes.

Piet

Edited by Nordsee - 24 November 2009 at 22:12
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 22:08
Hi Piet,

If you click 'reply' from the post itself, then you'll find a menu above the text area where you can click on a picture upload button. Make sure you have resized the pictures to a reasonable size.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Nordsee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordsee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 22:13
Hi Gregor,
here is an other one. 
Piet

Edited by Nordsee - 24 November 2009 at 22:17
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 08:21
Gregor
I have the Aeries fitted to my 311
It is the lift up version so is a little heavy but can be quickly removed to lighten the load for racing
I fitted it because the Simrad TP32 is miles too underpowered for the 311
I use it nearly all the time unless motoring as 90% of my sailing is single handed
It is a little quirky & it took a while to understand. But I do like it.
the stronger the wind the better. Downwind Its performance is often affected by waves. the wide stern of a 311 makes the boat directionally unstable as it heals & waves affect the balance. If the water is fairly flat or the wind fairly steady giving a constant heal angle the boat will run down wind as if on rails. In a lumpy sea & gusty wind it will run around like a dog on a lead until you select the right wind vane  & vane angle.
Up wind it steers better than a helmsman never loosing concentration or tiring.
I often set it, then play about with sail trim to see if I can increase performance. With the Aeries you know you are getting true speed changes whearas with a helmsman there is the tendancy to alter helming performance
It only takes a few seconds to set & if the boat is doing 5 knots a man cannot match the power of the servo

Daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 08:46
Thanks for your detailed information, Samuel.

Do you have any pictures you'd like to post? I'm curious on how you managed to install it, knowing that the ladder is at the stern too.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>