myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It broke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 08:30
Thank you Roger, I will try my Hanse Dealer in Portugal
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:32
Looking at the original photo the stainless steel tang appears to have suffered some plastic deformation before the vang fitting snapped.  This suggests that the process might have been gradual and it would seem a good idea to include this as part of regular rigging checks.

I don't think the fitting would have broken because of compression alone but due to mis-alignment with the tang.  Something appears to have stopped the tang turning properly and this is what I'll be checking for on my own boat under various conditions.

For anyone with a specific query, on a previous vang issue I found the Managing Director of Eurospars UK to be highly knowledgeable and most willing to help.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind contact from anyone overseas; details below.

Adrian Hood
Adrian@eurospars

Good luck

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:34
Sorry - Adrian@eurospars.com.  Finger-trouble with wretched computer.
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123