myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to remove rudder with Jefa/Lewmar bearings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to remove rudder with Jefa/Lewmar bearings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove rudder with Jefa/Lewmar bearings?
    Posted: 09 October 2011 at 11:10
I have had issues with the lower rudder bearings several years, in 2010 and 2011 so severe that I needed to "lubricate" the lower bearing as discussed in this thread

This week will I lift the 342 out of the sea as the last yacht before the lunchbreak enable me to remove the rudder when harbour staff is having lunch. I have one timeslot so the procedure must work as planned.
(Standard practise in Sweden is to put the yacht on land in the winter, some Swedes do still sail but most think it is to cold with the snow...)

The cover of the top of the emergency steering is marked Jefa #0434.
This is the link I got from Jefa support regarding the possible top bearing
ftp://ftp.jefa.com/rudder/42000Z_Topbearings/42060Z.PDF

I hope that someone who had done this before could review and correct my plan if needed
  • put some fender below the rudder on the ground as "bumper" if the rudderstock would slip uncontrolled
  • release the gaiter (cover around the rudderstock protecting dust to get into the lower bearing)
  • remove the tiller arm for the Lewmar wheel steering system (Corba)and also the autopilot system (Jefa Direct Drive)
  • remove the 3 (three) 4 sockets screws on the Jefa top selfaligning bearing
  • gently move the rudderstock down and my sailingpartner fetch it on the ground 
Would this work out to remove the rudder from the boat?

Future step is to remove the lower bearing;
Johan and Gregor have described how to remove the lower selfaligning bearing which probably is a Lewmar bearing.
Depending on the status of the rudderstock and the bearing will I maybe buy a Jefa bearing which expects to give a larger gap between rudderstock and bearing rollers.

Edited by skipper - 07 January 2013 at 09:44
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2011 at 16:35
Originally posted by skipper skipper wrote:

Would this work out to remove the rudder from the boat?[/DIV]

Yes, it will work. Since you have a "problem" the rudder will not fall uncontrolled to the ground. You will most probably have to use some force to pull it out. Turn the rudder at the same time and it will be much easier.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 15 October 2011 at 22:03
greyghost View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2011 at 17:00
On my 342, the rudder bearings grip the rudder stock quite tightly, and I needed to apply considerable force to get the rudder out, (as in heavy-duty hammering). You may find it helpful to lubricate your bearings as you apply pressure to drop the rudder, and again as you re-install it. I used dish soap, as this does not get absorbed by the bearings the way a petroleum product might and it will not cause them to expand.

Cheers,
Doug
Cheers,
Doug

Grey Ghost 342 #405
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2011 at 22:14
Hi skipper

My top bearings are also made by Jefa. Are you sure the bottom ones are by Lewmar? I was under the impression that Hanse changed supplier at some point in time (i.e. from Lewmar to Jefa) and since the top bearings are made by Jefa maybe the bottom bearings are too.

@Johan, I don't recall, but weren't your bearings  made by Lewmar (both top and bottom)?

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2011 at 22:20
Hi

Ohh ups - now I found the thread, Johan. It seems you have one of each.... hmm strangeConfused

Ole
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 07:53
Maybe some pictures to help you:
Upper ring

And pictures of the lower bearing:
Rudder removal and lower bearing

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 20:49
Clap Thanks for your help (hints, photos and video).
With your advice will I manage to remove the tiller to the wheelsteering and release the rudder from upper (Jefa) / lower (Lewmar) bearings.

There is always something I forget even when planning things ahead, I must admit that I haven't thought about that I probably need to use some force to get the rudderstock down.

Soapwater, some piece of wood and a rubberhammer will be added to the toolbox.

As always excellent support from Jefa, if I need to order a new bottom bearing the order number is 6GB068 for a 68 mm rudderstock.
(Price indication 187 euro + VAT)

Friday is approaching when I will see if the root cause is corrosion or lack of gap between rudderstock-bearing rollers.

Edited by skipper - 13 October 2011 at 17:33
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 20:33
Johan
On another post I said that my rudder seemed to have dropped 30mm( 320 forum)
From the ground I can lift it up quite easily
I see from above that you are suggesting it should be stiff to remove
From yours & other forum members experiences does that suggest that my bearings are on the way out? ( 8.5 years)
I cannot detect even the slightest lateral movement
I have no idea why the rudder should have dropped
I have a tiller steered 312 & the top tiller bracket shows no appreciable displacement.
Is the rudder just held up by the top fitting or is there a clamp lower down inside the gaiter  just above the top bearing?

Edited by samuel - 15 October 2011 at 20:35
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 22:26
Sam, I have seen the picture of your rudder you posted in the other thread and I am as puzzled as you are.

The closest I have got to a 312 is Gregor's 311 and the steering on his boat is very similar to mine.

As for lateral movement, it is limited upwards by the stopping collar on the rudder stock beneath the upper bearing housing, and downwards by the tiller head, the clamp the tiller is attached to. The position of both can be adjusted and the play should be just a few millimetres. It is important to allow for the stock to move up and down while you turn it.

If your rudder has dropped then logic has it that the position of the tiller head has moved upwards. And when you say "dropped", is that with the boat in the water or on the dry? In the water the rudder should have a buoyancy that would push it upwards rather than it "sinking" downwards. You should check if there is any water in the rudder while you're at it.

You should also check how much sideways play you have on your steering since you say that you can lift the rudder easily. I don't think that the bearings will ever wear out, but chances are that they are not the right size, or more likely, the rudder stock is not made to specifications. I am guessing wildly here, but I have heard that the was one or two batches of stocks that didn't match the bearing properly. But don't quote me on this, please.

I don't think there is a clamp inside the the gaiter on your boat. There isn't one on my boat.

Johan
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 15:54
Johan
Thanks
I would be suprised about it floating as it is very heavy.
The first year I had it I noticed water in the blade & put a post on this forum. I can see a minute crack along the top edge where the 2 haves join. Peter Thomas of Hanse UK replied saying that most blades had water in them & he had never heard of damage due to one freezing. I tested the water level by drilling 10mm holes in the side of the blade 50mm then 100 then 150 then 200 mm down from the top. The water only came out of the top 150mm. Below that was foam.
Still cannot get my head round why it has dropped. I have had cases where the tiller has slipped from my hand when reversing & spun round at an angle so hard that I have had to go in forward gear a bit sharpish  to free it as it wedged against the hull. This may have forced it down but I have not done that for several years as I quickly learned how to hold the rudder when reversing.
I am clearly going to have to investigate carefully this winter
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>