myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing sea water pump belt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ligeia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing sea water pump belt
    Posted: 20 November 2011 at 04:13
I recently had to change the damaged sea water pump belt on my Yanmar 3YM30.
- it is behind the alternator belt, thus you must remove the alternator belt first.
- to remove the alternator belt you must move the alternator to untighten the belt.
- to move the alternator you must unscrew a bolt on a rail below the alternator and from behind, which allows adjusting the belt tension.
- to unscrew this bolt (red arrow)... there comes the problem : there is just no place at all to move a wrench between the engine, the coolant pipe (green arrow) and the port aft cabin bulkhead.

To gain a few millimeters I had to dismount the coolant pipe from the heat exchange box (blue arrow), and of course all the coolant came out. Eventually I succeeded in removing the alternator belt, changing the water pump belt (after dismounting the pump engine itself), and tightening the bolt on the alternator rail, which again was very difficult with only 2 or 3 mm to move the wrench.
At the end I had to replace all the coolant, about 3 liters, which I find is a very useless and silly cost for this operation (I didn't dare pouring the old coolant back).
I would appreciate experiences of the same operation, of course it is the same problem for changing or only adjusting the alternator belt itself : any more simple way to do ?
Thank you.
"Teles", Hanse 370 #695
Port Fréjus (France)
Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 18:00
Sorry, I haven't done it, so no experience with changing the belt.

But with regards to the coolant change: Did you also open the second outlet on starboard side?

Last winter I changed the coolant of my 3YM30 and I opened both outlets. On starboard outlet a lot of dirt (cuttings and black water) comes out that had been locked there. So if you have not, open the outlet for a short moment to let the dirt out.

Edited by Stella*Nova - 20 November 2011 at 18:11
BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
ligeia View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ligeia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 03:17
I did not, since it was not the purpose. But I'll follow your advice, and then complete with some fresh water.
I hope I can read others' experiences about the alternator adjustment bolt.
"Teles", Hanse 370 #695
Port Fréjus (France)
ligeia View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ligeia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2011 at 19:34
To add some more explicit pictures to this issue :

The bolt to unscrew under the alternator

Wrench with the long end : not in the right axis, the coolant pipe is on the way, and no force in the fingers

Wrench with the short end : very narrow angle to work, you must remove the coolant pipe

Who has ever changed his belt, or even simply tried to trim the tension of the alternator belt ?

"Teles", Hanse 370 #695
Port Fréjus (France)
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2011 at 20:59
hi,
Did you try to use this universal joint tool ?

or this one

You need a special tool to remove the belt.

Edited by panos - 02 December 2011 at 21:10
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
ligeia View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ligeia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2011 at 22:34
Panos, did you try this yourself ?
Actually I searched this kind of tools but I am not sure it effectively works in this awkward configuration.

"Teles", Hanse 370 #695
Port Fréjus (France)
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2011 at 09:35
Hi,

The yearly maintenance of my Yanmar engine is performed by the Yanmar dealer once per year.

He is very ingenious and has a lot of self made special tools to remove/replace various parts like the impeller and the belt. For every new boat that has a Yanmar engine he designs new ones. He thinks that the Hanse engine room has relatively lots of space. There are boats with the engine under the floor with no room for any work space, according to him.
I considered maintaining the engine by myself but the cost of designing   and constructing of these tools is prohibitive, so I am paying about 600 Euros for 3-4 hours of work including oil,oil filter, diesel filter, belt and impeller.
Besides these items he inspects and maintains the control cables, he cleans the sea water filter, checks the level of the gear box and he recycles  the dirty oil and filters- you need a special license to do this.
Assuming that all consumables are worth less than 250 Euros he makes good money.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 16:22

I changed the alternator belt this year, without removing the coolant pipe. I can’t remind any problems while doing it. Maybe there is some differences between a H320 and H 370? Here is a picture of a toolkit I used to open the bolt:

320#166
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 21:06
Hello,
Since changing to twin alternators this spring I have found it necesary to adjust this nut several times. The nut has a bolt/ machine screw/stud on the other side and I use this to slacken the alternator whilst holding the described nut, have then used hammer , nail bar and winch handle to lever the alternator body.
Swanned off
Kallisto View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kallisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 10:30
Hi all,
had changed the alternator belt of the the same engine (3YM30, Hanse370 of 2008) in 2010 without any real problems just using "normal" tools. It is indeed a bit tricky and lengthy, but the space available was sufficient at least.

Jochen
 Post Reply Post Reply