myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boom on 355

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 20:23
Originally posted by Pluggen Pluggen wrote:

I was just on my way to sail home from Greifswald when the bom cracked, and the rigging was made by Hanse. So dont want to pay for the new bom. I think it should be on the guarantee and on the responsibility of Hanse. The best should be if the exchange it with a Selden or Sparcraft. With a Z-spar it will still be to weak.

Incredible!

I see no problem from your perspective other than probably huge initial disapointment and all the hassle get things fixed...

Hanse 355 is a very nice little yacht - you will enjoy it definately once this this dealt with...
Pluggen View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pluggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2012 at 08:01
Did you receive an new boom from Hanse? or did you have to pay for it?
Pluggen
Baranca View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baranca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 19:42
Hello,
We also have an Hanse 355 since april 2012.
Today we sailed the first time with some wind between 18-20 knots and our boom is also broken.
It is on exactly the same place, where all others z-spar boom on the 355. Where broke down.
What is the problem? how can we solve the problem?

Please let us know how to act in this case, it seems to be an problem what is known at Hanse.
PeterN View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 01:27
Hi

I have hull #005; and performed a gybe in 10 knot winds which bent and buckled the boom in the centre at the pivot point, three months ago, replaced with new z spar boom, which caused issue as they'ce changed the design since the early hull numbers and we needed a new goose neck as well

Peter & Sue
Hanse 355 #005
"Vryheid"
"Vryheid"
Finn-355 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finn-355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 16:30
Hi,

our Hanse 355 #38 is equipped with Selden mast and boom and we have sailed 4000 nm until now since March 2011 including days with>25 Knots with 2 reefs on the main. No boom problems until now.

Has anybody with Selden rig experienced this boom break down problem?

Finn
EOS, Hanse 355 #38
Copenhagen 
Finn
S/Y EOS
Hanse 355 #038, March 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Interlude View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Interlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 06:58
The controlled gybe in Perttu's post (page 2) is the classic way to gybe with little danger.  I imagine that many of the broken booms discussed above are the result of uncontrolled gybes - at more than 20 kts true that would scare me!  As I spend a lot of time running up a river with the wind channelling up the river behind me (when it is not on the nose) I never sail downwind without a preventer set.  A  line from middle of the boom down to the midships cleat and back to cockpit - generally to aft winch.  When the wind does catch us by surprise, we are backwinded for a moment, then it is easy to ease the preventer off the winch and allow the boom to come over gently.

If anyone is breaking booms with controlled gybes as in the video, I would agree that the new boats must have inadequate strength.
Interlude 342#241
Hdajani View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hdajani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:02
It seems that a number of people had the same problem. When a professional rigger looked at the original boom and made the calculations based on the mounted points, the conclusion was it is just on the edge of the specifications and he did not recommend to replace it with the same. The problem is the next level up would be too low in the cockpit, so the recommendation was for a custom made one. The only other option was to install a traveller, something I was not too keen on because of the space. I also could've used the exact replacement of the original one but install a sleeve inside to re-enforce it but decided against this option.

The custom made one was installed 4 months back and I've been using it since. Works great so far. 

Hdajani View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hdajani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 00:19
Does anyone have an autopilot installed? If so, would appreciate if you can provide the model numbers and your opinion with a picture of the drive.

Did anyone try to rig the main sheet and the ST sheet on the aft winch. It jams because of the lower position of the aft winch which causes the sheet to always have upward pressure. Any hints on sailing single handed?
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 12:02
Hello
If you look at the www.selden.com you can find a diagram for each type of boom to calculate the max distance from boom end to sheet attachmentpoint in function of the total lenght of the boom.

On our former boat Beneteau, I have broken the Zspar boom(midboom sheet attachmentpoint ) once with some 25knots true downwind .Single hand sailing,full battensail, boom in to 2 parts ,not a happy moment on my sailinglive to clean up the mess.

On our Hanse 545 with bigger boom and mainsail I did,n wont tho have this again so when we rigged the boat we put the mainsheet attachmentpoint so far as possible backwards and let the sailmakers changes the original reinforcements of the mainsailclew by less stronger onces.
And yes this works ,this summer I have a unexpected gibe by 25knots and only the clew was rip out the sail and no bigger damage just take the frist reef in and total cost for the sailmaker 50 euro.
This only works with unreefed main but must of the time the boom will only brake under full main.
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 13:28
The boom should be strong enough to survive a crash gybe! In my life I had quiet a few of them carrying spinnakers and never had a boom broken - although we broke once the spinnaker pole.

This reminds me of a friend who several years ago bought a Bavaria Match 35. When he lost the keel during a broach the company said that "broaches are not normal sailing" and didn't cover the cost. They only sold one Match in Greece.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>