myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken rattan door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken rattan door
    Posted: 19 July 2012 at 21:08
Has anyone experienced this problem and found a way to fix it?

The picture shows one of the rattan doors in the fore cabin that has been broken. I have no idea how it could have happened and I am puzzled as how to fix it. Advice welcome.

Johan

Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2012 at 22:16
I got the same Johan. Removed the thin wood at the back, and stapled (??) it again and but the wood back again. It's like the plints from a window. Not a very solid construction. 

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2012 at 22:28
Hi,

This looks like chairs my aunt used to have around her dinner table. They got regularly destroyed by the weight of the people so she called a gypsy guy who made them like new. They seem to master this medieval art.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
franko View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2012 at 09:37
Did you hide Stampe's dog biscuits in there Johan ?
Javelin View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 00:18
Hi Johan,
It is been, like, forever since I have been on myHanse due to being consumed with work.
I think you might find replacement rattan for your door here:
Might be easier than getting Swedish visas for gypsy craftsman suggested by Panos, but not nearly has much fun!
-Steve
s/v Javelin
Sonoma, CA USA
Hanse 341 #67
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 10:36
Thank you for your replies.

When I look closer it looks as there are minuscule nails in the trim. I suppose you could remove the trim and put new rattan in. Gregor, you have done this - is this the way it is done?

And no, Stampe is not the culprit here. I actually have no idea how it could have happened. Since I wrote my initial post the same thing happened on the door on the opposite side.

Johan

PS. Steve, good to have you back on the forum.
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 12:00
Johan, that's the way I did it. I have a tool for those tiny nails. Pretty simple to remove the wood and to put it back again. Just some patience and a thin screw driver for lifting the wood that holds the rattan.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 14:07
Johan
Getting the Rattan back as neat as the manufacturers is not that easy
Have you thought about something different. Ie a plastic mirror
This could be glued in of you spoil the glazing beads
One on its own might look deliberate if you used a mirror.
It might also come in handy
Although reading your thread it seems you may need 2
Now that is just plain careless-
mind you, on my boat if anyone as much as breathes on the rattan
they get the look from an agitated skipper. I would hate to see it damaged
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 14:10
Another point ,if you have damaged 2 ,is that if they are hinged opposite hands then you could put the 2 good ones one side of the boat & the 2 repaired ones the other side. If you then used ply panels in lieu pf rattan it would not look so odd. Plus as I suggest in the last post you can pin ply in place without the beading
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 19:26
I got a rattan sample from this shop: www.slojd-detaljer.se and it seems to be exactly the same as my doors (compare with the picture on my computer screen in the background). I am mentioning this in case any other Swedish Hanse owner has the same problem.

I will also consider mirrors as this is an excellent suggestion.

Johan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>