myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lift raft storage area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonpickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lift raft storage area
    Posted: 04 November 2012 at 12:29
Hello all,

Was just wondering if anyone uses the lift raft storage area to store the raft? If so what raft do you have? Seems kind of small so would love to hear which raft you picked?

Regards,
Simon
Yeoman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 14:32
Hi Simon there are a couple of 6 man canisters that will fit. I ended up working with our trade supplier Ocean Safety to repack their ISO raft into a suitable sized canister which I can now order as specials

Kind regards

Phil
simonpickard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonpickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 21:23
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply! Good to know. 
So something like this?
http://www.oceansafety.com/component/hikashop/product/588-ocean-iso-liferaft-with-solas-b-pack.html?Itemid=34

I was just wondering if you could give me a ballpark figure of what that would cost? The raft + repack + canister.
PM me if you want to take it off the thread.

Thanks again,
Simon
Kite View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 16:02
Zodiac eversafe, it is built the same way as full offshore liferaft just less pyrotechnics and survival rations, so less to replace every 3 years, really think we have moved on a lot since 1912, good epirb and the other stuff should be redundant. And it weights 16 kg i believe, some are very heavy,
GrainDeSel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrainDeSel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 22:47
Hi Simon, you can use forwater raft in canister. On my h385 i put iso 9650-1 6p in canister. Itīs the perfect size. See page 98 here http://www.forwater.fr/catalogue/FORWATER2013.pdf
Regards
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonpickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 23:39
Thanks for the link.
So everyone feels safe using this space for the life raft? I just wonder how easy it would be to get to in very rough seas (when it would most likely be needed). Last thing you'd want is the swim platform getting smashed upwards by large waves, or would that not be a problem?

Has anyone tried dropping the swim platform in bad weather?

Regards,
Simon
Dane View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 14:28
Hi.
I had the platform down in large waves just to check if I could pick a MOB up in bad weather that way, and didn't find this as a problem. However I am getting a Viking raft now that doesn't fit in the locker and it suits me great. I will mount it in front of the sprayhood, and then use the locker for diving bottles.

One thing to think about: If you are sinking because, -say rudder damage - or anything else that makes the rear of the boat to sink first, will you then be able to access your raft in the locker?

Being on the top in front of the sprayhood, it can be accessed regardless of which end goes down first and in any type of weather.

It does however raise the question about where to place the dinghy when I want that to be on the boat? Confused
Hanse 385 "Tenna"
Denmark
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 21:25
If you fixed the liferaft to the hatch garage check how well the hatch garage is fixed
On my 31 the garage would not carry a cannister if a big wave hit it. It may well cause the garage to come off which would be disastrous as the hatch could not be shut off & the liferaft might go overboard when one did not want it.
What would you then do with an inflated raft. Cut it free?
Also consider how you will get the liferaft off the garage & over the guard rails.
If the canister does not clear the guard rail it could be very difficult to get it over the side in a big sea
Also consider that someone may have to get up on deck to release it.
This could be awkward if you have a tent ( sprayhood)
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonpickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 00:27
I think I'm just going to go with a Valise style liferaft that I can store in the port side locker in the cockpit. They are lighter, cheaper, and I can have it out and tied off in next to no time.

I'll use the "lift raft" storage area for fenders, etc.

Thanks everyone!
Keith_Simmons View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_Simmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2013 at 10:57
Hi,

We have a wetline (WL06) valise six man liferafts that fits very snugly in the stowage area. I recall paying about Ģ850 for it from Piplers in Poole late last year. Good value and an excellent use of space. I suggest you check it out.

I can send a photograph if you wish.

Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>