myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge Management

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcmeekin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge Management
    Posted: 24 February 2013 at 02:47
With the flatness of the bilge in the 341/342, I always seem to have standing water in the bilge.  The manual bilge pump does not empty this water, in fact the foot valve is barely immersed.  The automatic electric pump only switches on when the boat is heeling hard to starboard on port tack.  I do my best to sponge out the bilge regularly but eventually it starts to get a little rank.  The water depth is not great but there are several litres of water across the bilge.  Comments?
Randy
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 08:44
Hi Randy,

If I were in your situation, I would first want to know where this water comes from. Do you have any indication? I would for sure first want to repair leakages and prevent any water from being able to entering the bilge.
On my 320, I only once had water in my bilge, due to leakage in the water system. To get it out was not easy, indeed, and involved sponges. Then I bought two small pumps (one designed to get the oil out of the engine when replacing the oil and another one for different purposes), and entered the bilge in several locations pumping out the water till the last drop. This can be done by these type of pumps, as they have flexible hoses and the mouth of the hose can be put flat to the bilge floor.
Since then, i have not had any drop of water in the bilge, summer or winter!
Apart from that, I would have no further suggestions.

Machiel.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 09:53
Find the lowest point in the bilge
Get an oil extractor pump ( as suggested above) measure the diameter of the pumps suction side hose
Drill a hole in the ply floor on a laminate line as near to the low point as possible
The hole should give a sliding fit on the hose so it stays vertical
You can then suck up virtually every drop of water into a bucket through this hole
Being only about 7mm diameter the hole does not show unless you actually know it is there if you do it on the line in the veneer
( ps :the PBO magazine paid me £ 30-00 for that idea)
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 22:10
One source of water on my boat was the calorifier.  The water slowly drains from the stern of the boat to near the bathroom door. The pressure relief valve leaked very slightly and so I changed that.  I have since fitted a pipe from this valve that exits the transon throught the stern shower fitting.  Having changed the valve, I then found that one of the of the hose connections to the calorigfier leaked.  The elbows cannot be tightened fully as they have to match in with direction of the hoses.  Leak Tight did not work and I eventually used a Loctite product.
Another source of a few drops is condensation on the coolant pipes for the fridge.  I solved that by putting pipe insulation on them. 

Another potential source of water is the pipe from the vacuum break in the cooling water system.  This initially did not discharge into the sump below the engine.  I now have a little "Whale" 12v submersible pump that I use for pumping out this sump. 

The bilge is now so dry and actually do not know whether the bilge pumps work!
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 23:24
Machiel and Martin&Rene are absolutely right. You should be able to completely eliminate water in the bilges! It possibly takes some months or even a couple of years to find and eliminate all sea and rainwater but it is worth the time and effort.
In the meantime you can follow Samuels advice but always look to it as a temporary solution. The inside of the boat should be dry.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
 Post Reply Post Reply