myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SIMRAD IS12 Combi Instrument Fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIMRAD IS12 Combi Instrument Fault
    Posted: 09 November 2013 at 23:37
Small tip that I hope will save some time for other IS12 Combi Instrument owners.

I was trying to track down an intermittent depth reading fault.  My (circa 2006) Simrad IS12 Combi instrument worked occasionally but would give the dreaded "---" reading (usually just when I needed a precise reading).  I had excluded growths on the transducer as the primary culprit earlier in the year, however I recently noticed that boat speed was also occasionally poor too.  

This gave the final clue that the fault was near or in the Combi instrument itself (as depth and speed relate to different transducers and cables on my boat).  When I extracted the instrument and removed the connecting wires, the problem became obvious when 3 of the instrument's connecting pins came out attached to the connectors!  

Should this happen on other boats, it might be reassuring to know that the instrument can be stripped back to the circuit board and the pins can be resoldered.  It is a fiddly job but can be done.  The display can be gently levered up to give access to the hidden solder pads for the 2 outer pins.  I found it helpful to preheat the pins with a rope melter lighter to get good solder flow without using an overly hot soldering iron.

In the 2 images, you should be able to see the dry joints on one side which allowed the pins to break free, and solder free but empty holes on the opposite side of the circuit board.  I re-soldered all the pins as the remaining joins looked dry and likely to crack too.

Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2013 at 10:56
Well spotted. Does the instrument now work correctly?

I have experienced intermittent faults in the past which were all down to dry joints.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2013 at 17:46
I had an intermittent fault on a depth gauge on my previous boat. It was a Raymarine ST60 with a single transducer. 

After substituting both transducer and display several times, and much head scratching, I finally concluded that the display was temperature sensitive - it would not function below approx. +5C. Even if it was below freezing outside, inside the cockpit tent it would still work, sometimes, and then fail later when out sailing etc. 

Semiconductors are temperature sensitive and are usually screened to work between temperatures appropriate to the application. However, the new IS20 range has the following temperature spec

Operating Temperature0 to +55 °C (+32 to +130 °F)
Operating Temperature Stored–30 to +70 °C (–22 to +158 °F)

This means they will not be damaged while stored down to -30C but could fail to operate properly in temperatures only just below freezing - worth noting if you sail through the winter (unless you're in Dubai, of course)!

Edited by High Time - 10 November 2013 at 17:51
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2013 at 22:42
Hi Charles - yes the instrument now works though the maintenance jobs don't stop.  I still need to clean up the transducer & redo the antifoul during the next lift or scrubbing berth opportunity.  Its getting a little too cold for swimming under the boat to do it in-situ in Chatham Marina!  JFYI I did my testing and fault finding with a spare transducer hung over the side to ensure there was a strong transducer signal.  

Mark

Edited by Mark_J1 - 10 November 2013 at 22:44
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply