myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel gauge / fuel range via plotter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonpickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel gauge / fuel range via plotter
    Posted: 24 April 2014 at 00:01
Hello all,

The fuel gauge on our 385 seems to have a mind of it's own and can be very misleading. Do others get this? If so any ways to fix this?

Also..

I've seen somewhere on the B&G plotter something to do with fuel and range. Is there a way to somehow set up on the plotter a range based on fuel consumption?

Any ideas on how to monitor fuel would be most welcomed.

Regards,
Simon

High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 00:26
If you don't  trust the fuel gauge, the easiest way to estimate consumption is by the number of engine hours since the tank was last filled. Before you can use this approach, though, you need to calibrate the number of litres per hour you are using. Do this from engine hours between fill ups.

For my D2-40 I use a figure of 2.5L per hour as an average.

To use the plotter to track consumption you need a fuel flow meter which is not fitted on the 385. It is meant for motor boats.

Edited by High Time - 24 April 2014 at 00:29
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 07:21
Yes we do this too, our 385 uses just less than 2 litres per hour at 2000 revs,

I don't think there are any sensors that the plotter can read, it would be pretty simple to add I think, but does require more bits and bobs
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 07:42
Measuring fuel consumption on a diesel engine is not quite so straightforward as you might think. A sensor is needed in the return flow pipe as well as the forward flow and the difference between calculated to give fuel used.

If there is electronic fuel injection then consumption can be calculated by the number of injections but this system is not fitted to an AWB.

Edited by High Time - 24 April 2014 at 07:51
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Matilda345 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matilda345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 09:26
There is a Volvo Penta NMEA 2000 interface, which can be connected to the engine to get engine data to plotter (http://www.ropewalkmarine.com/products/29824-3889758.aspx).
I think this can be connected to all new Volvo Pentas including D1 and D2.
Hanse 345 #28, Matilda
 Post Reply Post Reply