myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The difference between a racing 385 and 1 cruising
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The difference between a racing 385 and 1 cruising

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The difference between a racing 385 and 1 cruising
    Posted: 19 July 2014 at 12:40
I now have the definitive answer!

For the lasts three days we have loaded up a ford escape with the rear seats flat up to the bottom of the glass, driven to the boat and transferred everything onto ubulukutu to start our cruising life. So that's the answer, three SUV loads of stuff!

I'm hoping to start a 'something extra on means we're throwing something off' policy, but haven't explained the rules to the first mate yet!
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 18:48
Ford Escape ?
Not sure exactly what that is; presumably a vehicle that in the UK we call a removal lorry. I am surprised there is a vehicle on the road that with three modest trips fills a Hanse 385.
As an experienced cruiser there is one easy check , to make sure that you have all vital equipment, check the anti foul, if any is visible , you have forgotten something essential .
Take great care on the one on one off policy , as you drift off to a cruising paradise, as skipper you will lust at every chandlery for bits and gear, however first mate will be eying the latest fashions.
S
Swanned off
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 03:35
Escape is a little ford SUV, I assume from the USA.

The boat is not full yet. I fully expect to have forgotten lots of stuff that I will need, since you probably right and experience will add to the list of necessities. On the other hand, I also believe we will never see some of the stuff we packed again, until the day I throw it off.

I love the one about the anti foul. I'll check it out.

Mark
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 06:50
I always work on the rule:-
" it is always handy even if you never need it"
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
ariette View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 17:04
Glad you have joined the 'extended cruising' club. My 415 has swallowed a mountain of gear. Getting it ready to race would be 3 days work and I would need a mini skip to store the excess gear.
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 02:53
Corkscrew plus a spare one ? The Turkish wines are excellent!

Edited by Fendant - 22 July 2014 at 02:54
Frank
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 08:48
Funny, but I had a moment after the last race when I thought the crew had lost the corkscrew, luckily I had one spare left in the villa, so popped that on board, plus one of those old twigs with an open screw protected by an old cork, then found the original correctly stowed by the crew after all, so now we have three! Should be enough.

Just realised that corkscrew includes crew, obviously meant to be there.

I'm managing 3 hours a day only at 49 degrees and 80 % humidity! but now ready to remove the boom and lash to the deck.

All the sails and boom bag are off, all equipment and living items stowed below.

I'm currently washing the lazy jack lines in the washing machine to get rid of the dirt and grime that have built up over the last year, it really is a corrosive environment here.
 Post Reply Post Reply