myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blejie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine support
    Posted: 15 September 2014 at 20:18
All,

Please be aware:

Do not know what the exact term is in english, apologies on forehand but the picture speaks for itself. After 3 years and 275 engine hours hours we had let surveyed our hanse 470 for insurance purposes. One of four engine support boults was broken. And according to surveyor for longer period, thus weak cheap boults used.
Please check your won. We have a 75hp Yanmar and according to experts have been lucky to carefully motor. If not we would have been hurting the saildrive and torn the hull....look at the pictue... Jos
Owner of the Lunatic - H470 #346
Kytho View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kytho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 21:07
Bledjie

Thanks for your disconcerting note. Do you have a photograph that you can upload?

Cheers,
Kytho
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 07:03

Yanmar offers some kind of better engine suspension for older models. Ask your Yanmar certified mecanics.

Edited by tobo2 - 24 October 2014 at 16:22
hobietiger View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobietiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 15:49
Blejie

I own a 470E from 2009. Earlier this year I was contacted by my dealer with respect to the substitution of the pieces that support the engine, offering to replace them for free. This campaign was related to the following engines 4JH4ACE x SD50, 4JH5-CE x SD50, 4JH4-TCE X SD50-4T.

When I received this comunication I asked whether this problem could be responsible for the damages in the internal parts of the saildrive that I had to substitue the summer of 2013 with just 250 hours and no aparent reason. If you are interested I can send you the comunication from Yanmar although it is is Spanish.

If your engine is inclued in this campaign, Yanmar should bear te cost. But additionally I would be very interested in knowing more about the opinion of your surveyor. I strongly believe that this problem with the support components of the engine is responsible for the damages to the saildrive.

ˇÓrale!
Hanse 470e
Spain
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 08:50
Bingo! There apparently is or can be a problem with the mount and certain models. I wasn't aware of this potential danger until my service manager told me recently. (On our Hanse 470e/2007 we have  a 4JH3-TCE type and it is not explicitly mentioned in the bulletin.)
Please read the technical bulletin of Yanmar USA: http://portal.mastry.com/bulletins/JH%20Series/JH3%20&%204%20Mounts.pdf . It's a warranty issue and the campaign lasts until 31 March 2016.

Additional infos from my Yanmar dealer: It only concerns the younger models of 4JH4 series. The 4JH3 models don't have this problem. (And because Hanse has changed to Volvo, there won't be anymore problems like theseWink )

Edited by tobo2 - 27 October 2014 at 14:55
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 14:34
Spotted a similar snag on our 400 at the winter layup last year after just doing Torbay to Chatham.  Proves how much we sail rather than motor I guess.  There was no great vibration or extra noise when we used the engine at manoeuvring speeds.  So this is definitely something to look at on the weekly check list when sailing.

There's various posts on myHanse and elsewhere about the Yanmar OE mounts shearing across the stud.  For those unable to go the warranty route, I can recommend the replacement mounts from http://www.randdmarine.com/enginem.asp 

These were a straight swap on Grey Goose's 3JH.  They are cheaper than the Yanmar part and IMHO both stronger and a better design.  

I had some professional help on tap in case of difficulty but swapping the 2 front mounts was easy enough in port.  Rob a 13mm bolt from pump fitting at the top of the engine.  Screw into the existing top hole on the main pulley on the crankshaft.  Then use a bottle jack on the bolt head to raise the engine the cm or so to slide it sideways back onto the fractured studs.  Use a vernier to measure from bottom of pulley to crossbeam.  Raise a little more, fit new mounts, lower and set to height measured earlier.  Don't forget to remove and replace the bolt!

Mark

Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply