myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a 575

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon 139 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 20:30
Hi, low tech comment. Inquire if the canvas is made a little bigger to accommodate performance fabric. That will have significant effect on "ease" after dropping and slabbing your main to get the zipper done up. Lowering the boom with your vang helps get over top of the operation but any way, if I sent my wife to do it I'd be out of business! Have fun. Jon
Jode7 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jode7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 09:14
Hi All,
We have finally taken delivery of our new 575. We have had a couple of minor teething problems, but nothing major. Our dealer "Windcraft Group" has been supplying an outstanding service in making sure that every thing is just right.
The main sail is still a bit of a hassle, we have had the front cover modified so as this can easily be removed and fitted from the deck and not having to climb the mast. We have also had webbing straps stiched inside the bag so the main sail can be strapped down, which allows the zip to be zipped up. Even with the boom pulled down hard on the vang it is still high and not particularly easy, especially with a bit of a sea. We are now considering fitting a Leisure Furl boom, but this means a new boom, vang and a new man sail to suit the boom. I have been quoted about $25,000.00 (Australian $) to supply and fit the boom and $20,000.00 for the main sail, totalling $45,000.00. I should be able to sell my new FCL main sail, Selden boom, Selden slider system and Selden vang, but it will still be a costly exercise. If anyone out there wants a new FCL main sail at a good price, let me know.
Windcraft have now all bit finished the commissioning in Sydney so we will be heading off on the 600nm trip home to Brisbane next Thursday. it will be great to finally be home with our new boat.

John
rich@rfa.com View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich@rfa.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 01:40
Jode7, exactly what I am planning to do. When my FCL sail gets a bit tired, sooner if I can afford it, planning on doing the leisurefurl with a new performance main. 

While on the topic of performance, does anyone have an IRC [or other] handicap rating for the 575? 

Thank you!

rich@rfa.com View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich@rfa.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2014 at 01:14
Thanks for all your feedback. My order is in, expecting my delivery estimate next week.
I decided to go with the fcl sails and the lazy jack system for year 1.
Next season after sailing the boat for a year, the plan is to get a leisurefurl boom, new north mainsail w/bolt rope to accommodate. Will modify mainsail size of the north following our experience with the fcl.

For downwind sails I'm starting with a light air code zero and an a2.
The downwind sails will have ATN socks to make life easier. Year 2 possibly a light air A1 and A3/4.
The the plan, let's see if the funds hold out!

Has anyone done any RACING on the 575? Would love to get your feedback and any ideas of what we should expect as a handicap. In IRC so far I have a number for a deep keel, 2 spreader rig of 1.17.

Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 08:41
Can I put in a vote for the 'dark side'?  

Did 3000Nm plus over 20 days earlier this year on a 575 equipped with powered in-mast Selden furling FCL with vertical battens.  On a trip with winds varying from 0-45kts and all angles of sail the main performed impeccably.  It may not be the racers option but for short-handed sailing it is tough to beat.

Not my boat so I didn't have to think through the long term awkwardness of dropping the sail with the vertical battens in etc.  However, this trip really changed my mind on in-mast furlers.  We got great sailing performance and easy sail handling. 

Only really odd thing is the boom was delivered without an end-bracket suitable for a gybe preventer.  A quick trip to the riggers solved that but one to check.

Loved the way a 575 can eat the miles btw :-)

Mark

Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
Jode7 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jode7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 11:23
Hi all,
We have now had the boat home in Brisbane for about 6 weeks after sailing from Sydney to Brisbane. We had 35 knots on the nose for 16 hours then 15 to 35 knots from behind covering 200 nm in 22 hours. We have been racing the boat twice a week and have been very happy with the speed. In 18 knots of breeze we are going to windward at 7.5 to 8.5 knots with good height. We have found the boat speed to be competive with the Farr 40 OD's. Not bad for a cruising yacht with a shoal draft and a dingy in the garage. The Farr does point better but our speed makes up for this. The only issues we have had is the clutches will not hold the spectra halyards. The main halyard needs to be 2:1 . The lewmar electric winches are sh*t, they are slow and have no grunt. In 18 knots they will not crank the jib right in with out luffing or having to use a handle. They also stall out on the halyard tension. If we go to 2:1 on the main halyard it will help with the tension but because the winches are so slow it will take forever to raise the sail. A couple of Harken 70 two speed winches would solve all the problems. We are yet to hear back how Hanse are going to solve these problems.
Having used the latest Raymarine plotters and instruments on my previous boat and the latest B&G gear on this boat I would certainly go Raymarine. Raymarine give more information, is more user friendly and easer to calibrate. The B&G sail steer screen is nothing more than a gimmick that any reasonable sailer would not use. Worst of all drops of water dripping on the plotter screen causes the plotter to do its own thing as it has the same effect as touching the screen. We actually had it insert way points and track them. Thank god it did not advance the pilot.
In general we are very happy with the boat which we have found is a pleasure to sail.
We have now ordered our new Leasure furl boom. The cost is a little more than first thought, $35.000,00 aus$ to supply and fit the boom and $28,000.00 aus$ for a new Norths 3DL mainsail.
The 575 has proved to be every thing we wanted in a boat, a fast club racer, very comfortable cruising yacht, easly handled by 1 or 2 people, and a beautiful boat to sail at all angles to the wind.
Merry Christmas to all,
John

PS. Wayne (waynesworld) Andy & Jane DuPreez from the yacht Wings said to say good day.
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 12:21
John & Deb,

Good to hear you are generally happy with your 575. It's odd that your electric winches are giving you problems. Our electric winches seem to have plenty of grunt. They are not fast but get the job done without stalling. Likewise the clutches for the main halyard and gen halyard are fine and have not had them slip (Spinlock XX0812).

I think your change to a furling boom main will make life easier particularly when you are spending most of your time club racing. We are getting used to the slab reefing style main and putting it away in the boom bag but it is a bit of a pain - but not a AUD$63,000 pain.  

I hope you are not beating Wings by too much during your race days. Please say Giday to Andy & Jane when you next see/beat them. We hope to get them over here for a visit at some stage.

Are you planning any longer trips on your 575.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Jode7 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jode7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2014 at 12:06
Hi Wayne,
Andy's comments the other day was that "can't we make it look as though we are doing it just a little tough as we pass them".
We have been away from home most of this year so we are going to stay home for 6 months and then head up the reef next July for 4 or 5 months but after that we have no plans. I am sure Andy and Jane would love to come and spend some time with you,they are lovely people .
Regards
John & Deb
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 00:09
Originally posted by Jode7 Jode7 wrote:

Having used the latest Raymarine plotters and instruments on my previous boat and the latest B&G gear on this boat I would certainly go Raymarine. Raymarine give more information, is more user friendly and easer to calibrate. The B&G sail steer screen is nothing more than a gimmick that any reasonable sailer would not use. Worst of all drops of water dripping on the plotter screen causes the plotter to do its own thing as it has the same effect as touching the screen. We actually had it insert way points and track them. Thank god it did not advance the pilot.

John, seriously??!! how can that be? I mean the chartplotter is intended for outside use so it can't be susceptible to water drops or rain. B&G is supposed to be the sailing brand, while Simrad is for power boating & fishing, so what the hell! My old Simrad CX34 is going to need replacing soon and I was looking at the B&G Zeus2 as the lead candidate but it sounds like it would be useless... 
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 00:32
I have the NSS7 and have not experienced that drops have had some impact on the plotter.... 
Hanse 400#655
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>