myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chart plotter changing GB40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeancharleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chart plotter changing GB40
    Posted: 16 December 2014 at 01:24
I would like to know if it is possible to just change the screen of the chart plotter for a touch screen without changing the computer.

I have tried to get info on that but no success

Thanks
Jean Charlebois
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 08:04
Salut Jean,

I don't think that it is technical possible or economical to do this. From time to time Raymarine and Simrad offer great package deals on their recent plotter series.I would wait until Boot Düsseldorf, this is the time these actions normally happen.
Frank
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 09:07
Hi Jean,
I tried this in the beginning of this Year. My Interface for the Radar on the GB 40 Hardware was failed. Their is no Way. I change to B&G Zeus Touch only in the Cockpit. It works very well with the other Units together!! Thats the advise from my Side!!Wink
best regards

Bjoern

paul_heinz View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_heinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 15:20
Hi Jean,
I did an update  in 2012 from GB40 to NSO with the OP40 unit. It was a waste of money. Compared to the performance of a plotter like the Zeus or Triton Range its an poor outcome from the system.
GB40 and even the newer NSO isn´t the system you should go for as a sailor. There target customergroup is the professional boater or fishingindustry.
If I wouldn´t have spend that much money I would like to change to the B&G plotters.
From my point of view the touch function is not that important, more important is that Simrad now brought the next system which is not working with the older system. There is no chance for an upgrade to the 2nd generation NSO.
With the computerized systems you have no chance to keep track with the innovation.
These computerbased systems like GB40 or NSO were a good deal for simrad and even for Hanse but not for the Sailor.

Klaus
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 15:25
I assume you mean changing the plotter to a touch screen while keeping the course computer.
That is possible.
Sometimes coverters (e.g. from seatalk to Seatalk NG) are required.

Never heard of changing the actual display of an (old) plotter to a touch screen.
The whole plotter/machine is entirly diffrent.
Peter.
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
KnutF View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnutF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 17:22
The screen for my GB40 stopped working this summer. After a check, it was probably the screencard that needed replacement. The advice was to not spend USD 1000 on a new screencard since the whole GB40 was to old (2008). I ended bying a new B&G Zeus Thouch and it was "plug and play" with the rest of the systems. The new plotter is much faster, have a far better user interface and consumes less power.
The only job that had to be done was to extend the radar ethernet cable from where the GB 40 was placed and back to the new plotter.

The old GB 40 was delivered to the dealer and I got a good discount when byuing AIS transponder.

Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 17:42
Hi
I did change to Garmin 4012 and it was just plugin, the new Garmin 1020 is for  sailor
"Keep sailing in free wind"

http://suhrfa.blogspot.se

Kytho View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kytho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 16:39
Dear Jean

My recommendation would be to discard the GB40 and install a B&G Zeus2 12 inch. I did this change last summer; it fits into the steel cabinet that a Hanse 470 has. I had a fitting made to close the gaps and screw it firmly into the cabinet. See the pictures below (sorry for the quality). It is fully compatible with all other Simrad instruments I have on the boat.

All the best,
Kytho

northstar View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2015 at 11:10
Thank You for your post,
I have the same problem on my 2010 470e.  Gb 40 has been acting up and I grew tired of incompetent avionics "engineers" long ago, now I'm seriously considering an exchange.  Would you be so kind and give me a few more details about your modification?  Some questions I have...  Is the metal box for the plotter an original design (mine is plastic) or did you have it custom made? Did you fit the new B&G computer at the same place where the old one was attached? What other alterations were necessary?  Some ballpark figures about the total cost...
Thank You in advance!!!
jeancharleb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeancharleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2015 at 15:33
I was posting because of route creation complexity. AND. I have purchased the MGW charts which are suppose to include just about ALL the Med including Adriatic, Ionian Sea and so one, BUT nothing was there when you zoom in. I had someone from the supplier coming to the boat but neutralized just a bout every access I had and plus my charts dont even look like they use to. To be continued this summer when I arrive in France...

Edited by jeancharleb - 24 February 2015 at 15:43
Jean Charlebois
 Post Reply Post Reply