myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater ducting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater ducting
    Posted: 28 March 2015 at 15:33
Dear all,

I am planning to install a heater in my Hanse 371 but struggling with the ducting. How are the hoses run through the boat? I have a 3 cabin version, so with the big locker on starboard.
Is anybody willing to post some photo's ?

Thanks in advance.

371#221 now, before 312#275
Juissi View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juissi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 08:20
Hi!

I have some photos from heater installation, I can check and collect those and send to you via private email. 

I'm really far away from my 371 and I would like buy some spare parts (bulb of navigation lights), but I don't know type of them and I don't have pictures of lights or bulbs Lamp

Could you take photo from bulbs and send to me ( front and back lights, bulb type is the most important thing) ?

Cheers,

Juissi

---------------------------------------------
* Quod scripsi scripsi. *

Hanse 371 2001, Volvo Penta MD2030D

Maybe the northernmost member of Hanse club, over 65N latitude
JesperBergsjo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JesperBergsjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 10:29
Hi,
I use to own Hanse 371#212 and made the heater installation on my self back in 2004.
I don't have any pictures and the boat is now sold (I'm still an Hanse owner with at Hanse 400e).

I installed a Ebersprächer D4 with 5 outlets. The heater itself was installed on the bulkhead in the aft-port locker in the cockpit. I mounted it where the Fire extinguisher use to sit, on the bulkhead separating the LGP storage from the big locker. Normally It's mounted on the inside of the hull but I think the access was better with this position.
The duct was then routed down the hull thrue the bulkhead into the port cabin next to the exhaust Hose.
Here I mounted 2 Y-manifolds on the 90mm duct with reductions down to 60mm, one for the toilet and one for the port cabin where I used 6omm duct. I mounted both manifolds "the wrong way" to get less heat out in the port cabin and the toilet (since the temperature/preassure is highest here).
I then continued with the duct behind the engine and into the starbord cabin. Here I needed to make a hole in the bottom of the aft wardrobe to be able to mount another manifold (again the "wrong way") and mount the outlet (that is below the aft wardrobe, same as port side).
Now the tricky part started. I was able to route the duct (still 90mm) below the owen and into the area below the fridge. Below the fridge there is a small inspection hatch that I removed and then it was possible to continue under the dinette/sofa locker. I drilled the hole for the outlet in the saloon in the wooden front in the sofa and another 100mm hole just behind down to the area below the locker. Here I put another manifold but mounted in the right direction. The outlet in the saloon is 90mm and always open. Here I went over to 60mm duct and continued below the locker all the way to the main bulkhead. Here I made another hole to get the duct up again and then thrue tha bulkhead into the forward cabin.
As I remebrer it the only way to put everything togehter (after the aft startboard cabin) was to assemble the ducts and manifold that was going from the wardrobe all the way to the main bulkhead before fitting it. Then put in the 60mm duct from the inspection hatch below the fridge and when the manifold/90 mm duct was visible in the 100mm hole below the sofa grab it. The 90mm duct was then pushed from the area below the fridge, below the owen and finally showed up below the wardrobe in the aft (SB) cabin where it could be attached to the manifold.
When I did this the fist time i did not have any insulation and that was a mistake... Be sure to attach insulation from the beginning.
Not very complicated job but it takes some time and you will require a pair of extra hands at some steps.

Jesper
ckopper View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 10:38
Dear Juissi,

Some pictures would be great. I assume you use a Wallas heater being from Finland? I work a the distributor, so it is obivious I will install a Wallas.

The bulbs for your navigation is an easy answer. On any navigation light for a boat of this size bulbs with BAYD15 fittings are used.
Three colour light 25 watt
Anchor light 10 watt
Two colour light 25 watt
Top light (for steaming) 25 watt
Sternlight 10 watt

Your cabin lights all have G4 fitting.

Regards, Cees

Edited by ckopper - 29 March 2015 at 10:38
ckopper View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 10:47
Dear Jesper,

Thanks for your clear explanation. The difference between our boats is that I don't have the cabin on starboard, but the giant locker. To transfer the ducting from port to starboard is therefore the main challenge, since there is no double floor in the locker. So I am really open for suggestions and examples of how others have done that.

Regards,

Cees
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 11:46
Cees,  the best way is to install a false floor and run the ducts beneath it. I have one y- piece 90/60 mm leading to the aft cabin outlet. Another y-piece goes to the main cabin outlet under the stairs which is always open. The other one continues into the toilet with a outlet and then into the front cabin. This part must be well insulated otherwise yoy will only blow cold air up front. Wallas has a fantastic easy to apply insulation made of a glass wool tube with a outer layer of silver flexible material.
The heater installation is the easy part and will be completed in one day. I needed two full days for the duct installations in my old 30" boat.

Edited by Fendant - 29 March 2015 at 11:48
Frank
Juissi View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Juissi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 12:20
Hi!

I sent private msg to you, att. are the pictures

THANK for you all for the information on bulbs :)

Cheers Beer

Juissi

PekkaL View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PekkaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 16:05
My heater was done by Hanse. with no double floor, they have inserted the warm air pipe inside a underdrain pipe (= plastic pipes used for underground ditches). 

This seems to work fine: I've piled my genoa & gennaker on top of it with no problems. So unless you have no other reasons for the double floor, consider the outer protective pipe.

Edited by PekkaL - 29 March 2015 at 16:06
Pekka Leppanen, "Vedette"
Juissi View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Juissi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 17:02
Hi ckopper!

In fact I have Webasto 5000 on 371, all heaters are good (Eberspächer, Webasto, Truman, Wallas), but major things is a fuel. My opinion is that the fuel should be a diesel,  because you don't need extra tank for the heater. In previous boat was Truman (gas) it worked always fine, but gas bottle... 

Cheers,

Juissi

ckopper View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 19:41
Dear Pekka,

That is a very good sollution. I will go for that option.

Thanks,

Cees
 Post Reply Post Reply