myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jefa Autopilot motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alohaventura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jefa Autopilot motor
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 17:57
We have a Jefa autopilot model DD1, connected to a B&G control unit on our 505 hull #15.

When engaged in sloppy conditions it was making a light "clanking" noise.  On further inspection the main power shaft has excessive up and down play.  A local technician looked at it and said that the plastic bushing/bearings were probably the cause.

We are wondering if any other owners have had similar symptoms?   Secondly, the model DD1 is for vessels up to 45 feet.  It seems the wrong model may have been installed and that the vessel should have a DD2 for boats > 45 feet in it?  The connecting arm to the steering quadrant had a sticker on it stating "Hanse 400".

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike Costello
s/v Aloha
Oxnard, CA
USA
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 19:42
Interesting, I have the same clanking sounds coming from our DD1 autopilot on 445. We rarely use it but I'll take a look.
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 22:49
I have the same problem on a 415. I first noticed it more than 2 years ago and IMG replaced the motor under warranty just before our summer cruise in 2014. The replacement initially was silent but over the last 12 months the clonking has started again and seems to be getting louder and more frequent.

The problem 2 years ago was excessive end float in the main drive shaft and I expect the cause of the clonking in the replacement motor is the same. 
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Joel Scarr View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Scarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 02:59
We had this issue with our less than 1 year old auto-pilot drive (Hanse 445). It would thump loudly when under pressure. The drive unit was finally replaced under warranty (not installation though), and so far we've not had a return of the noise. 
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 14:47
My 2014 year model Hanse 445 has recently developed what I call a knocking noise but it is hard to confirm the source. Clearances on the ruddershaft between the Delrin washer and upper locking ring are ok according to Jefa at 1 to 2 mm.

There appears to be some play in the rose joint on the draglink connecting the Jefa autopilot drive to the tiller quadrant. According to Jefa these rose joints have a Delrin ball in them which can be subject to wear. It is apparently quite easy to replace the Delrin ball and I wonder if anyone else has seen this issue.

Incidentally the knocking sound is intermittent and more common with a following sea.
Andy Brock View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 10:45
i had the same issue in the Caribbean with my 505 Jaffa system. It had been listed in the default pages on her the previous year with the old owner and he had sent a email to jaffa. However i adjusted the cables and it seamed that it has gone . Maybe loose wires are the cause . might be worth checking and adjusting.

Andy
Andy Brock View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 10:48
also remember that Jaffa control wires should be replaced if they were the incorrect grade of Stainless fitted on production . Speak to jaffa and they will sort.
 Post Reply Post Reply