myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cockpit traveler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gallop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cockpit traveler
    Posted: 24 September 2016 at 00:57
Does anyone have a cockpit traveler
What brand and what model
Also how many parts on the main sheet
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 14:54
Hi gallop,

Our hanse 430e got the main sheet traveller factory fitted.
It is a type 2 lewmar rail, with one single traveller (big one).
The rail is located on the sitting area, between the lockers and the steering pedestals.
The traveller is controlled by a 8mm loop.
The main sheet is fixed on the cockpit floor (10mm padeye).

From the padey, the sheet runs :
- 6 way hoist (not sure about the name) - for fine control
- block on boom (lower one)
- block on the traveller
- block on the boom (upper one)
- block after the vang
- block at the mastfoot
... then back to the cockpit winch

Sorry, no photos...

Edit: adding a drawing...

Edit again:
No cockpit table in our 430 (in fact, we have one, but it folds down while sailing). I am pretty sure sure the traveller is incompatible with the factory cockpit table.

Deck reinforcements, if you plan to add some padeye in the cockpit bottom:

Reinforcements.pdf

Edited by nibheis - 26 September 2016 at 15:27
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 08:08
Hi again,

Here is a photo of the traveler + cockpit table.

Edited by nibheis - 21 October 2016 at 08:09
Frankplast View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankplast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 13:05
Hi, I would like to install a cockpit traveler in my Hanse 430e in which there is already the table provided by the factory. 
I sent an email to hanse to ask if the reinforcements on the lateral seats (where they mount the traveller when it is set up in the factory) are provided in every boat, including the ones where the table is set up. They haven't answered yet so I am asking if anybody knows anything about this issue. 
I have checked the seats from the inside but it is not clear weather or not there are metal reinforcements embedded in the structure. 
Thank you

Edited by Frankplast - 10 June 2017 at 13:09
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 07:18
Here are the 2 documents I have about steel and/or aluminum reinforcements on the deck.

h430_Reinforcements.pdf

h430_Reinforcements2.pdf

Edited by nibheis - 12 June 2017 at 07:19
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 07:38
I just checked under the seats, there is an added (and massive) GRP backing plate right under the rail (and 4 x 10 or 12 mm bolts) on each side.

I said 'added' because this backing plate does not appear in the 2 PDF I sent you.

Just check under your seat for this backing plate. If it's not here, you can add one.

Best regards,
nibheis
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 18:32
You may have to support the beam in the middle with a rod to the cockpit floor. Check the specifications of the beam you intend to use, each size has a maximum span spec.

Personally, I'd recommend a German or Admiral's Cup sheet system using dedicated winches. http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3901  

I initially tried a coarse/fine system on my 400 and it did not work well and I suggest it will be even worse on the 430. It was 6:1 and 24:1. You could not bring the 6:1 in hard enough by hand such that the travel of the 24:1 was enough to set the sail correctly. In the end, the German sheeting works so much better...
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 14:07
Hi Frankplast,

Here are photos (almost live!) from my cockpit traveller. I would call it 'hybrid' because it is half german sheeting and half with a 6:1 (after the 3:1 of the german sheeting on the cockpit side).

Photos are better than words:

As Rubato mentionned, the rail is a 'thick' one because of the bridge it makes between the seats (it has not moved a bit over the last 9 years).
Also, the 6:1 is anchored on the cockpit floor. The rail only supports 2/3rd of the load.

In light winds, we like to anchor the german sheet directly on the cockpit floor to avoid having the 6:1 flying across the cockpit when the boom swings - and we don't need the 6:1 in those conditions.

The german sheeting is very effective, and the 6:1 (in fact a 18:1) works well, it is nice to control the rail and the sheet from the helm.

Best regards,
nibheis
Frankplast View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankplast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 10:42
It looks very effective! Thank you very much to both of you! Smile

Edited by Frankplast - 02 July 2017 at 10:50
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 15:25
What have you done with your cockpit floor?

Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>