myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bathroom Tap Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bathroom Tap Leaking
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 14:19
We have noticed some fresh water running down the side of the hull and traced it to the tap in the bathroom sink.

We have tried to push the pipes further onto the tap but this has not helped.

At present we do not know if it is the tap or a badly fitting pipe.

There are two blue pipes and one red pipe. I am presuming the red is from the hot water supply and one of the blues is from the cold water system / pump.

Can any one tell me what the other blue one is?

We are trying to get a tool to loosen the holding nut and inspect the tap etc.

The tap at present has a shower head has anyone changed this for just a normal tap and any advice well be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Hanse 320 Olicana Inverkip Scotland
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 20:53
We had a problem with leak from tap in 320 our problem was due to the rubber type o rings being damaged I believe when the tap was put together. If it is the same manufacturer you have to push out a peg which releases the pipes we put new o rings on, slightly smaller, as we could get an exact match, anyway is worked no more leak.
Gordon
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 07:10
We had a problem with the connection between the pipe and the hose to the Tap. The screwed connection was originally sealed with Loctite and that was aged. We renewed the connection with teflon tape and everything was fine again. 

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Tim View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 15:39
Hi, I too had a problem with a leaking heads tap. Took out the tap (with difficulty) and found the leak from the tap plastic internals so decided to replace it. Got a replacement from Force4 Chandlery but needed 1/2" to 3/8' step down joiner. Plumbing store suppled the step down joiner but even with PTFE & joiner paste this still leaked due to the pressurised water system. Went to a Hypose store who supplied a step down joiner which had tapered threads. Installed this with some PTFE tape - result was a perfect joint and no leaking. T

T.
Old Racer View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 17:39
Thanks for the replies. I does look like I need a new tap and thankfully have managed to locate and almost replica replacement.

Looking at the diagram of the tap it does appear to have a hot and cold water connection and the shower hose is part of the fitting.

However under my sink is three hoses two blue and one red. The shower hose appears to be connected into one of the blue hoses further down its length.

Does any one know where the other end of the blue hose is connected too?

Suspect I will have to trace it but asking to save me time and effort

Cheers
John

JesperB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesperB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 23:17
I would guess that the second blue is the outlet with mixed hot and cold water. The shower hose is most probably joined to this one.
Jesper
Old Racer View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 00:09
That was my thoughts I have to admit

It does seem however to disappear into the hull.

All will be revealed :)

JesperB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesperB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 06:09
What happens if you grab the shower and drag out the hose (I would guess it's 1,5 m long), will you see the joint then?
Jesper
JesperB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JesperB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 07:39
Maybe an obvious comment, but your tap is not a tap, it's a mixer for a combined tap an shower. When the Handel is inserted in the mixer it's a normal tap but when pulling out the handle it turns into a shower ( you should also be able to adjust the water beam between shower an normal). Probably this is 100% obvious to you but based on your questions one could think you don't know. I use to have a Hanse 371 and that had exactly your setup. The mixed water comes out from the back of the mixer and then connects to the shower hose. That hose need somewhere to be stored when in "tap" mode, that's probably why you say it's disappears into the boat.
The tool needed to remove the mixer is most probably a long socket wrench size 10,11 or 13. Of course you need access from behind. On some mixers (as on my Hanse 400) it's a 40-50 mm nut. In they case you can grab it with your fingers and unscrew the first half turn by turning the mixer to get it loosen.
Jesper
Old Racer View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 10:46
Jesper

Thanks for this, I did realise it is a mixer tap with a shower head, suspect my description is confusing.

As you said earlier it would seem that the extra blue hose is the output (combined hot and cold) to the shower head. The shower head is certainly attached to this hose. I suspect it gives a better angle of pull.

My only confusion is that the attachment is what I would describe as in line and the rest of the extra blue hose disappears into the hull to where I do not know.

I will probably replicate what is there when changing the tap to avoid and problems in the future. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>