myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage at propane tank solenoid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage at propane tank solenoid
    Posted: 04 July 2017 at 18:48
My Propane shut off switch is not working. The switch may be faulty but when I was testing the connections I found that there was only 11 volts between the hot end and the ground of the fuse. 
(by passing the switch). 11 volts seems weird to me  batteries are fully charged and volt meter says 14 volts or so when charging. and about 12.8 to 13.5 when charger is off. 
Any one have an idea where 1.8 volts is disappearing? 

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 19:22
Is the shut-off solenoid (presumably) part of an automatic gas detection alarm system or simply wired to an on/off switch that you operate manually?

If part of a gas alarm system the voltage may be regulated within the sensor/alarm unit.

Alternatively, it's also possible that the solenoid draws several amps in the open state which could cause 1.8V drop if the wiring/connections are not properly sized for that sort of current. 

Edited by High Time - 04 July 2017 at 19:24
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 15:58
No there is no gas alarm system.
There is simply a on/off switch that opens the solenoid. It was functioning until a week ago when it stopped.
My examination of the voltage between hot end and ground was when I read the 11 volts,  jumping across the switch does not open the valve but the connection is poor.
I have ordered a new switch perhaps this will solve things.
Also I can't imagine that the switch would dram large amount of amps.
Thanks for your suggestions

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
Jens View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2017 at 08:02

I had problems with my fridge some time ago. The light was working, but when compressor tried to start voltage dropped down – and light went out. I found out that there is a connector close to the compressor and this was completely corroded. Problem was that the connector was lying on the boat bottom below the compressor where it occasionally got in contact with water. Maybe the cable to your propane solenoid is also under the floor. In case the switch does not fix the problem, it would be a good idea to try with a + and – cable directly from the battery.

Jens

Jens
Hanse 370, #423, 2008
Three cabin
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 16:50
Spent most of Friday trying to trace wire, found it disappearing under cabinets next to stove!!! Thought Ok will need to run a new line or pull cabinets! Later a friend who is a millwright looked at problem,  he actually used to fix robots on an auto assembly line so he knows his stuff.  He looked and found the inscrutable 10-11 volts as well even when we grounded to ground wire on throughhull. He could not understand it either. So he suggested just for "smiles and giggles" lets hook up the whole system as if nothing was wrong and cut the wires at the solenoid  to see what voltage is there. There was 12.8 volts????!!!!! So then we pulled the solenoid and it was seized. So I have new one on order. Go figure??? So I started at the wrong end of the system and was lead down the garden path by some wiring anomaly that perhaps only Hanse can explain.
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 20:19
So to end the story. The replacement of solenoid was no help. So we re-wired then entire switch and still had 10.8 volts even when we ran a ground to the ground plates in hull. We dropped the circuit breaker panel and traced the power line of the switch in galley to the panel. Imagine our faces when we found there in the line was a two amp fuse !!! We wiggled the fuse and the voltage fluctuated between 10.8 and 13.0 volts!!! We secured the fuse with some electrical tape and voila! problem solved. Why the f*&k would there be a two amp fuse in the power line to the solenoid switch? The fuse at the switch is 5 amps!!! so the 2 amp fuse would blow before the 5 amp fuse ??? 
Sometimes I wonder about the "professionals" that install stuff on our boats.

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
Aeolian View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2022 at 15:53
I am having same issue I believe... been tracing problem and the only thing that makes sense is a mystery fuse in line I can't find. Any advice on where you found this 2 amp fuse?

Best,
Equally confused owner
Jared Rodgers
Seattle, WA
Hanse 458 - Aeolian
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2022 at 08:42
Call me old fashioned, but what is wrong with a manual stopcock? The idea of having something electrical on a gas line doesn’t sound good. 
On Night Train, we have a stopcock under the stove and one on the gas bottle.
Or am I missing the point?
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 07:31
Originally posted by 415 Singapore 415 Singapore wrote:

Call me old fashioned, but what is wrong with a manual stopcock? The idea of having something electrical on a gas line doesn’t sound good. 
On Night Train, we have a stopcock under the stove and one on the gas bottle.
Or am I missing the point?
All the best
Paul
Same at my 370
Kis …..”keep it simple “ and it will always work
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
 Post Reply Post Reply