myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

autopilot problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: autopilot problems
    Posted: 21 December 2017 at 08:59

I have a Hanse 445 (2014) and from the beginning there are problems with the autopilot system (Simrad B&G).

The main problem is that during the sailing sometimes the autopilot system switches to Standby mode displaying the message:"missing control unit".

The company has already changed the electronic compass, the wind sensor and twice the autopilot control unit.

The problem has not been solved!!

Is anyone familiar with that and can advice what else can be done?

Thank you very much

Yoram

Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 10:23
Maybe this hint can help:
A short drop in power supply to the control unit can lead to this problem. Not easy to detect seen a permanent failure is easy to find, a short interruption :( hard to find.

Best regards
/C
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:26
Is your control unit getting the power over the simnet ?  In this case I would rig a second power supply directly into the CU.
Frank
Persephone View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persephone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 17:03
B&G/Simrad released software updates for some of their autopilot controllers a few weeks ago [NAC-1, NAC-2 and NAC-3]. One of the issues addressed was "No AP Computer" alarms.

The updates are available online from Simrad or B&G. Hope this helps.
FREEDOM View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 08:51
Thanks for all the hints and help.
foret View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 08:49
Dear Freedom,

I have exactly the same probleme you have with a new B&G configuration.
Did you solved the problem? If yes can you share your solution.

Best regards
BR
RalphK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2019 at 22:08
I just a week ago finished a transfer from Northsea via Biscay, Gibraltar to the Med. During the first leg in the Chanel we experienced multiple resets of the Zeuss MFD which consequently also switched off the  Autopilot. At our next stop I contacted B&G service with all our details and explained that this behavior would be a Desaster if happening downwind with our Parasailor up.
Within a working day I received a reply suggesting to downgrade the software of the Zeuss back to now 18.2 (from 18.3). And it helped, it did not happen again, system worked flawlessly. 

So, seemed to be a known problem with Navico.

Best
Ralph

SY Wind Pearl, Hanse 385#358
FREEDOM View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2019 at 09:03

Dear foret,
Unfortunately, we still have lots of problems and so far the service was not able to help us...
The problems we have:
1.The biggest problem: during sailing the unit control loses the connection to the computer and it goes from Auto to Stby.
2.Another very risky problem, is the screen ,sometimes, going black during sailing. Again, usually, after reset(off+on) it's ok.
3.Sometimes, when we turn on the system, it doesn't recognize the control unit .After we turn off+on again,usually, it's ok.
4.A new problem: doesn't keep course in back winds(+swells) and goes from Auto to Stby.

All of these faults still occurring after they replaced 3 times (!!!) all these components:
the wind sensor, autopilot computer,electronic compass,triton control unit!!!
We now hope that our dealer in Israel will fix all these problems.
What about you?Can you tell us details about your boat and the problems you are having?

Thank you and best regards from, FREEDOM

S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2019 at 11:14
I have experienced a few issues with my Zeus over the years.
After two or three seasons I started to get random reboots when changing view or making other adjustments .  I also noticed that it took longer and longer to start up to the point where I could view waypoints or tracks with a "database not ready" message being displayed.
After discussions with Navico support I deleted the 2-3 years of tracks that I had stored.  Even though the memory was only showing about 25% usage it was clear that the system couldn't cope with this volume of data.  This resolved the problems and I now delete my tracks at the end of each season.

I do sometimes find that if I forget to turn my vhf on and then turn it on after the Zeus has started up that I get network issues.  Sometimes I loose the wind instruments and sometimes (more worrying) the autopilot.  But this is always rectified by restarting the system.

I have had these instruments for 5 years now and this is the first year that Navico have not released new software updates.  There were clearly issues with the 18.3 update which was withdrawn for several months and then patched twice.  I have used the latest version all season and apart from the vhf issue (which has always been there) have not had any problems.

As for the screen going dark, I believe this may happen when the brightness is set to a low value.  I find that even at 50% brightness, the screen appears totally black in bright sunlight.  This makes it very difficult to reset the brightness control.  A nice update would be to always reboot with max brightness!

However your problems sound more widespread and random suggesting a network issue, possibly an intermittent connection?

Edited by S&J - 12 October 2019 at 11:17
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2019 at 14:52
Could not agree more on Zeus 3 backlight when low, such as when turned down after a night sail, blacks screen so impossible to see in daylight again, to such an extent only way to adjust is via tablet or wait until dark!  Would be great if B&G could update this feature as not clever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>