myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New seacocks/thru-hulls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 14:15
Bronze equipment can be found on http://www.italnordic.se and the things we need is not that expensive. For some reason I believe most of the products are made in Italy.
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
AllIn View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllIn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 11:57
Today I started replacing the seacocks on my 2006 Hanse 400e. The hose connection from the toilet just crumbled. Confused I'm really glad I decided to do the exchange this winter Smile
Big Al View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 15:47
Based on the information shared on this thread I am also in the process of replacing all thru Hulls on my 2009 Hanse 370e.  Based on the recommendations on this forum I have gone for True design thru hulls. True Design suggest that the Ball valve should be directly fitted to the thru hull fitting however I notice on my boat there is a male to female 90 degree connector fitted directly to thru hull and then the ball valve is fitted to 90 degree connector. 

I would welcome other members opinions on this. Will fitting the 90 degree connector directly to thru hull be cause for concern. 

Regards

Alan
"Vohirana" Hanse 370E Hull Number 55
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 18:52
Hi, if space allows, I will recommend having the valve straight on the thru hull and a 120 degree bend after it.
This gave me both shorter hoses and less restriction inside the hoses:

Edited by Lykke - 31 January 2022 at 18:58
Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 21:44
If this fits well in the cabinet it looks great! Had I known about this before I would have done the same with my bronze equipment. Valve directly to the skin fitting - 100% the best!
You Norwegians are better plummers than Handball players Tongue
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
Ggerrit View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggerrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 16:50
Looks nice,
But the brand of  the bended hose tubes is not the same as the valves I suppose.
Which brand did you use ?
Gerard
H400 2008 2 cabin
Yeoey View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 21:25
greetings all
If I may add my tuppence to the excellent advice and information here, the inspection of any critical boat component should never be based on periods of YEARS - it is the environment, use and climate that creates variables -inspection periods should be based with due consideration to the afore mentioned things.

I also sail every week on my race boat and do physical checks of key components every few months but with our Hanse which is used like a caravan and never raced I prioritize critical items differently-in the interest of relativity to this thread it is the environment that has greatest impact on the failure of the metal fittings.

Eg if you are in the northern hemisphere there is every good chance that your boat spends periods time winterised, on the hard, and lesser time in the water or if your waters have higher or lower levels of salt concentration than the urine in the toilet lines reacts differently in the chemical process of the metal breakdown. Our boat is immersed all year round in sea waters.

When I replaced mine at around 5 1/2, years the worst was  the cabin toilet and crumbled when the plastic hose was being removed but the seldom used front berth toilet was much better - it is seldom used.

The only valve that I did not replace with Trudesign was that on the sail drive - it was inspected and was sound but had it replaced with a bronze fitting.

Reference to Trudesign website provided technical information that allayed all my concerns in use of a non metal based valve system plus one of my earlier yachts I owned some 39 years back still has the then a little used but radical radical “non metal” fittings installed - I think they were Marlon brand but only a guess.

Peter 

Peter
Sea Rambler 415 # 137
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 02:38
I want to ask you all for some advice.  I own a 2007 430e.  I bought the boat in 2019 and I was given reciepts that show that the seacocks were replaced in 2017.  I have no reason to doubt that they were changed.  The handles of all my seacocks are not the red stamped steel ones in the pictures of the failing units, but are the flat steel typically seen on ball valves.  So my seacocks have been replaced with hopefully something that is made of the proper material, but I'm not certain that they were.  This year I will change to Trudesign but I want to ask about the thru-hulls.  From my observation the thru-hulls on my boat are bronze.  

While I could be prudent and replace both the thru-hulls and seacocks at the same time, is it necessary to replace the bronze thru-hulls?  Have you seen failures in the Thru-hulls?
Adventure awaits
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 16:46
If you are absolutely convinced that the thru-hulls are made of bronze, they would not need to be replaced. But since this matter could be the difference between life and death, I would buy the Trudesign thru-hulls anyway. The ball valves are a bit expensive, but the thru-hulls are relatively cheap. I sail in places with medium to low saltpercentage in the water, but my thru-hulls were corroded anyway. If you read all posts in this thread, you will discover a boat sailing in fresh water in Holland with no corrosion at all, while two other posts mentions the thru-hulls falling apart when they were dismounted.
I replaced the seacocks with Trudesign in 2013, and until now I have no problems.
I sold my old Maxi back in 2005, with seacocks of bronze 28 years old. The new owner still has the old seacocks fitted on the boat, now 43 years old, and  still going strong. His old Volvo engine is also still working.
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 22:12
The 120 degree bend I used, are made by Trudesign. But these are not sold at every place that sells the valves.

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>