myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VOLVO rear motor mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOLVO rear motor mount
    Posted: 05 February 2018 at 16:21
Recently I noticed that the rear mount on the VOLVO saildrive has a lot of rust at its base. This mount supports the rear part of the engine, and I believe that most of the real weight of the engine is carried by the forward engine mounts - one on each side. I suspect that water in the bilge had splashed on this metal bracket and over the past few years it had rusted. After buying the boat in 2016 I solved the water in the bilge issue, but this bracket looks rusted enough at the base that I think it is worth replacing before it fails. The new part was only about $150. I plan to haul it out in March and replace the piece before the summer season. Everything around the part looks rust-free, and it should be a very quick remove and replace type of endeavor. It is a hard piece to see, though, and you would not necessarily see the bracket without looking for it behind the engine. Has anyone seen this rust problem before, and if so, did you replace the mount???
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 19:29
This how it should look like, H 385 2014. easy to replace, out of the water, supporting the saildrive from outside and changing. 

Good luck !Wink

Best regards
/C
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 20:35
Just overthinking, to do the job into the water. Making 2 of these supports to lift the engine. Works also fine. Of course leave the engine in Tongue, otherwise no chance !

Best regards
/C
AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 20:23
Just wanted to give an update on the rear motor mount. It had become very rusted and I was worried about it failing. I was able to haul it out and stabilize the sail drive so that we could replace it with a new one. I cleaned the area so that hopefully it won't rust in the future. After examining the old one I doubt it would have broken but couldn't be sure until we had removed it. The whole job was under an hour and we kept the boat in the Travelift the whole time. Nothing like peace of mind!
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 21:26
Nice work Thumbs Up
Best regards
/C
 Post Reply Post Reply