myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grey water pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grey water pump
    Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:33
In the time since last August,  I've gone thru 2 of the JABSCO 50880 grey water pumps.   I've now got 2 spares on the boat, as well as 2 spare water witch switches.    Has anyone else gone thru these pumps quickly?    

We are pretty careful about sink debris getting into the grey water tank.   Its not getting clogged.   It just stops working and the pump gets very hot as its still drawing power but has apparently seized.

I'm wondering if a more rugged unit would be better?   We don't live aboard, but use the boat quite a bit and can stay on it for weeks at a time.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:54
I have used this pump for shower drain for 5 years. Over 50 showers a year and no trouble.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 14:42
Rick, 
Our UK warranty dealer - Inspiration Marine Group supplied us with standard float switches instead of the Hanse supplied switches which IMG said were failing and causing the pumps to stay on and seize. We changed the switches over and have not had any problems for 4 years liveaboard. We had one pump fail before we changed the switches over.

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 00:45
The switches (Water Witch) are fine.    The pump just seizes and gets hot.   Twice so far.     I have spares and since its a new boat, Hanse and my dealer is covering the cost of the part, but if one more goes bad I may look into alternative pumps.

50 showers on our boat happens in a few weeks, not 5 years..  Between my wife and I, my daughter and her husband,  as well as sink and occasional washer/dryer use, these need to be hardy.

Are your's 24V or 12V?   Maybe a bad run of 12V pumps?
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 12:46
I just replaced the foreward pump and I can see the aft pump was replaced by the previous owner.
I took the failed pump apart and found the windings in the motor overheated and shorted. The nameplate on the pump specs to be fused at 10amps but my boat has 30amp fuses in place!

Rick, what fuses do you have?

Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 13:07
Rob,

We had 15 amp fuses for our shower pumps which I replaced with 10 amp fuses per the pump manufacturers recommendations/directions. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 01:11
10 amp fuses.    I found the wrong fuses used early on and changed them.

This isn't a fusing issue in my mind.  Its a usage issue.   If someone takes a long shower, or if you put a lot of gray water into the tank without giving the pump a "rest" somewhere in there,  I find that it shuts down for heat reasons and then will eventually restart.    Over time,  I think this problem eventually fries the pump.   Not sure if its hardy enough for the job.

Edited by Black Diamond - 10 August 2018 at 01:12
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 10:16
Very strange.
On my H575 I modified the installation of the pump in the owner’s cabin.
Often it was not priming, it was sucking air from the tank and could not pass it through.
Because of this it was running idle for long time.
I also modified the level switch so that some water remain on the bottom of the tank.

For the aft pump I installed a plastic pipe from the tank to the motor space to take out air.
I noted that sometime the water from shower was not going in the tank because air could not escape from tank.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 15:51
Its interesting.   The aft grey water box has only had to have its switch replaced (water witch), but twice.  The forward grey water box on our boat has been replaced twice, but the same switch is still there.

As my wife and I are on the boat a lot,    the forward one sees our showers as well as the galley and forward sink usage.  The aft one sees the dishwasher and the washing machine use,  but also showers and aft sink when our daughter and her husband come to visit. 

Its more annoying than problematic.    I still think its not robust enough for the job, but I cannot seem to find an easy replacement that would be an upgrade from what is there.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 07:16
On my side, I had this problem the first year and replaced the pump once, then I had it a second time and replaced again the pump, but this time I installed a different switch inside which authorize the pump to work only when the tank is effectively full of water. For me the problem was that with soap and sun cream residus, the contact with the previous swicth was permanent conducting the pump to work continuously and overheating before dying. Since this modification it works perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>