myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Hanse - 5 Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 13:07
My wife and I sail our 575 by ourselves all the time.  The times you really need more than one hand is when you are making a long passage or docking.     Sailing it yourself is easy given the way the boat is rigged.   Docking requires line handling,  and its a lot of freeboard so it can be blown around a bit on a windy day.  

As with many things,  technology makes it easier.  Bow and stern thrusters,   anchor windlasses, furling main sails, etc..    The less you have to manhandle things like sails or non-electric winches, the better.   Of course there is a cost to this...

FWIW
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
LunaRossa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 08:37
thx Wayne's World!

these are the words I was waiting for Wink

Fully agree with you - an early reef is for sure the way to go and a good autopilot is a must; what about the "standard one" is this a good solution or do I have to go for a replacement?

Many thanks

LunaRossa
LunaRossa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 08:46
thx Black Diamond!

Yes this is the way to go - do you think a furling main sail is a must? Because in my price range I did not find one boat with this option. Hope this will not be a show stopper for me. 

What exactly do you mean with there is a cost to this? Replacing the non electric winches etc.?

Many thanks

LunaRossa
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 10:17
Any upgrade is a matter of cost/value determination by YOU.      My wife and I got tired of folding sails and manhandling them under load.  Bigger boat.  Bigger sails to bend on.. etc..   After 35 years of sailing we decided it was OK to have electric winches and a furling main.  Its not cheap, though...

Yes... I mean the cost of changing the boom or adding electric winches.   For what its worth,  the two electric winches on a 575 are just fine.  No need to convert the others.    You need to shop around with riggers and at shows to see what deals are to be found.

We did not go with the standard Hanse furling main as it was too expensive.   In our case we went with a leisurefurl boom that was installed for less than half the cost.   We had it on our prior boat and were happy with it.  Putting the sail on in the spring is a matter of rolling it into the boom from the deck while loading the battens as you go.

If I couldn't afford a roller furling boom, there are ways to make things easier at lower cost.  Lazy jacks, single line reefing, etc..   If you are putting money into the boat, ask yourself what can be changed later versus what needs to be there at the initial purchase.  Some things cannot be changed easily (like the engine or the basic rig).  Other things, like cockpit cushions or electronics upgrades might be able to wait a couple of years...

You don't *NEED* some of these things, but it does make sailing easier for 2 people.   Reefing a roller furling main is a simple matter of rolling the main in to just below one of the batten points (there are six on our main).     It doesn't get much easier than that

FWIW

Edited by Black Diamond - 13 July 2018 at 10:21
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:12
LunaRossa,

The "standard" equipment fitted by the factory in the 2005-2008 period would probably have been Simrad. The Simrad autopilots have been good and reliable. The heading compass connected to the autopilot can sometimes cause the boat to wander too much. The standard heading compass (RC42N Rate Compass) can be replaced with a Fluxgate version (FC40) which will probably improve the AP performance. This is not a high cost modification. When you do your test sail prior to buying your boat check how well the AP controls the boat particularly at low speeds.    
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:47
Sorry Wayne,
I have to interrupt! The fc 40 is the bad and the Rc 42 is the better one!!
best regards

Bjoern

LunaRossa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 22:15
Hi Wayne,
hi Björn,
hi Rick,

many thanks for sharing your experience. I just checked the option list of the boat I am interested in and it says a SIMRAD 24NM. So I might have to change this system anyway? GPS is SIMRAD + FURUNO (no further details so far. 

@Rick: a furling main would be perfect for me, what do you think I have to calculate for a leisureboom upgrade? Can I still use my 2016 Elvstrom or do I have to chance this quite new sail as well?

Thanks guys for sharing!

LunaRossa

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 23:14
Couple of thoughts

1. The furlboom option provided by Hanse for the 575 costs about $US55-60k.   I found this ridiculous. Taking the existing boom off and putting a Leisurefurl boom on costs about $US25-30K including labor.   I cannot comment on overseas prices.   You get the boom, a new and much better boom vang (you can sell the existing one) and all the mast work (mostly the luff tape groove)

2. A sail is cut special for the boom. The sailmaker (and I worked directly with Elvstrom in Denmark who made it that way new) gets package of specs from Leisurefurl based upon your mast and boom measurements.   I’m not sure if you can change an existing sail for use with the boom. I have the sailmakers package for the 575 and can send it to you.   You can then check with your sail loft to see what is possible.   Be careful.   The specs can vary based upon mast serial number. It’s usually fine but if there was a different lot of masts used when your boat was built things could be different

Let me know if you want the sailmakers package and the boom info. Send me your email in a private message and I’ll send it that way.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 02:21
Keep in mind this was for a 575.   A 470 or 505 would be less

Rick
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 07:18
Sailkoop,

Thanks for the correction, you are correct.

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>