myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nav light wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nav light wiring
    Posted: 14 August 2018 at 09:27
Corrosion on the wires has reduced the voltage to the stb nav light on the pulpit to 10.5v stopping it working.  About 6cm of wire can be pulled out but this is black too and I'm intending to cut an access hole in the anchor locker to try and find uncorroded wire that I can tap into.  However, before I do this has anyone experience of the same issue?

Strikes me that access holes, to be covered by dinghy-type watertight hatches, might be a good thing by themselves as they'd give access to the stanchion bases which are a weak design.  Am also intending to replace the bulb with an LED which can tolerate a lesser voltage and to use tinned wire rather the domestic variety which Hanse thought fit to use in such an exposed position.

Thoughts, anyone please before I start hacking into the locker?!? 
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 15:05
Do not start hacking.
In our 370 (very similair) I have cut a hole in the interior just benead the ancor locker in the sealing.
There i found the wires.
Gr marcel

Edited by alettaenmarcel - 14 August 2018 at 15:10
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 18:02
Very timely; thanks Marcel.  Looking at it the 400 does indeed have a similar place which might be easier to cut into.

Rat

Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 19:50
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing when I had to replace my nav light wiring on my 370.  Easy task and worked well as a solution.  My only problem was I could not get the new wire back up through the pulpit frame.  Instead I put a waterproof gland on the deck and fed the new wire out from that.  No issues in 4 years or so.
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 19:58
Try this post for some pictures

Edited by Peter Russell - 14 August 2018 at 19:59
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 20:05
Thanks Peter that's good to know. I'll take the opportunity to see if I can tighten or better secure the stanchion bases as well; have already put a cross-brace between the two sections.
 Post Reply Post Reply