myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making your flexi-fold prop fold up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making your flexi-fold prop fold up?
    Posted: 22 August 2018 at 15:52
Prior to owning my 575 I have not had any experience with a folding prop.   While sailing, I noticed a slight vibration in the floor which made me think the prop was spinning.... engine was off.

I went below and looked.... yes, the prop was spinning. So I’m thinking that the prop wasn’t folded.

I started the engine and put it is idle reverse thinking this would fold the blades..... then shut the engine off. It seemed to work but I would still see some rotation in the propshaft.

What do you do?
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 18:01
This is exactly what I do and it works well. Since the Volvo Command is not mechanical, it has to be done with the engine on.
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 23:05
I have been advised (and the boat was delivered with a warning sticker beside the engine control) that the engine should be put into reverse when sailing to lock the propshaft and allow the prop to fold.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:22
Thank you for the response!!   I’m away from the boat for a few days but now thinking....

Does the transmission stay in reverse gear after the engine is turned off? Or since it is electrically shifted, once the power is off, it returns to neutral.   I’m just curious.   I’ll check when I get back to the boat.

Thanks again!

Rob
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 14:03
Rob,

We use a similar method- engage reverse and when you see the revs on the tacho display change turn off the motor and then change the selector to neutral. If your shaft is still turning just try the same process again until you get success. Once you have the hang of it this process works 95% of the time.We don't leave the selector in reverse mainly because if we need to start the motor in a hurry ( if I'm not starting it) it may be confusing because the engine will not start. So to save confusion and I always leave the selector in neutral. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 16:24
Exactly what I do.     Fly by wire versus mechanical linkages...    You make do...

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 17:58
Thanks for the responses!!!
SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 18:59
I have a different engine and transmission; however, once sailing, I "gun it" for a second in reverse for a second, this forces the blades to fold.  

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply