myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deck to hull join

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deck to hull join
    Posted: 15 September 2018 at 15:24
Hello all,
I have a query regarding the hull to deck joining method of your 371's. Mine is No. 059 from 2001. The join is made by self tapping screws through the toe rail, deck and hull flange. See the picture. I would have expected this to be by bolt and nut. I am aware that Bavaria use this self tapping method but I though that Hanse were more traditional. Can you guys advise me how it is done on your models. I am worried that only the early boats used this method and I am not sure how good / strong it is. To be fair I do not have any issues, just concerned.

Thanks

BAJJ
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2018 at 16:19
same on my 370
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2018 at 17:47
All Hanse decks are joined like thar.
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2018 at 19:20
Thanks guys, that's good to hear Smile
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 06:55
Hello Brian,
don't think that the tapping screws are responsible for the integrity of the joint. Afaik the hull/deck joint is a solid laminate which is covered with white Sika on the outside. There are numerous threads here in the forum about the 2013 build period where Hanse switched suppliers for the PU joint, which degraded. These threads confirm that it was a purely cosmetic issue, not a structural one.
Frank
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 14:18
I dont think the hull and deck are laminated together. It is the screws and the Sika that holds them together.
That is strong joint.

Only at the rear end the hull and deck is laminated together. There you don't want to use any screws.

Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 15:59
The yard told all customers with the dirty PUR seal, that the seal is purely cosmetic.
Clearly tapping screws are not an approved joint system under CE regs ( might be different in US production boats )
Frank
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 08:05
BAJJ,
I use to have a Hanse 371 from 2004. Not sure if that was built in the same way as the 2001 model. But on my boat the hull to deck joint was glassed and covered with gelcoat. I realized that when I replaced the crappy fender rail that was actually covering the jont. The self tapping screws on your picture is only securing the toerail. On later models (like my current boat, Hanse 400) deck and hull are glued.
Jesper
Hanse 400e
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 15:24
All, thanks for your replies, I feel a little better about it now. There isn't an issue just wasn't sure when I saw the self tapper.
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 16:26
The 371 is stronger built than the newer models. The transom is also glassed into the hull. The only weaknes I had on mine was the rudder was leaking. I fixed that myself by drilling several big holes (d=100mm) from the starboard side and after it had dryed out (2 months indoors) I replaced some foam and put on new glass/epoxy. The leak (where the rudder stock enters) was sealed with sika after I had grinded a 3-4mm grove around in the GRP to get it to stick better.
Jesper
Hanse 400e
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>