myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mainsheet System Change Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mainsheet System Change Question
    Posted: 18 October 2018 at 22:08
Hello, I have been looking at some used Hanse boats, including a 370. I have a question about the viability of changing the mainsheet system on the boat. 

If a boat has the mainsheet with traveler mounted in the cockpit just ahead of the helm, is it possible to change that out to a German mainsheet system mounted on the coachroof and lead back to the helm? 

Am wondering if anyone has done this or if there if the coachroof simply is not reinforced for that type of system. I've certainly seen boats with the mainsheet traveler mounted on the coachroof, but wonder if a German system with pulleys could also be used. 

Appreciate any feedback on this!

Chris
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 07:50
I'm convinced that all boats have the reinforcements in front of the companionway. Just take a metal detector! 
There are many boat having a german main sheet system. However I would not go back from endboom sheeting to mid boom sheeting. The loads are much higher and the boom will bend more than you would like. 

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 08:25
I was about to do the same but I was strongly recommended to keep my fine big boat main sheet system of "German" type.
Yes, the coachroof has aluminium reinforcements.
You can check the Harken website for different ways to arrange: https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3901

BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:39
The german sheet system may do a greater load because there are only two points to take the load.
The aluminium reinforcement was designed for adjustable sheet system of wich spread the load a bit.
Just a thought.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
SFagain View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 15:31
Thanks, everyone. 

Borjebus, when you say "my fine big boat main sheet system of "German" type" do you have the mainsheet traveller mounted across the seating in front of the helm? 

I have never had this type of setup and wondering how much it gets in the way. I'm not looking to race - more bay and coastal cruising. I like that the mainsheet is right at the helm for single handed sailing, but I'm also tall and clumsy and worry I'll be falling over a bit in the boat with the traveler across the seating. 
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 23:20
SFagain
The cockpit traveller was an option on the 370 and the 400. The standard setup was for a coachroof traveller with the mainsheet coming to the clutch group by the companionway. So, your boat will have the necessary reinforcements etc to set it up that way if you wish. But it would seem that you want the rope clutch accessible from the helm which this doesn't achieve.

For a 370/400 that does have a cockpit traveller, you can setup the main sheet system in a number of different ways - some more cumbersome to get around than others. I race my 400 a lot and have set it up to have the 2:1 dedicated winches as shown in the Harken link that Borjebus referred to. It is easy to trip over the main sheet that goes from the traveller to the winch but over the years you get used to it. While I'm cruising it is very handy to have the adjustment right there though.

If you do move the traveller to the cabin top, and want the sheet all the back at the helm then you are going to have to add blocks down the side deck to get the line all the way back to the helm. It's possible but somwhere you're going to have lines sticking out that can be tripped over - likely from the boom (at the mast) down to the side deck...  It's kind of a decision as to which poison you want :)

Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
SFagain View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 01:04
Thank you Steve! That helps a lot. I think I'm getting over having the traveler in the cockpit. 
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 06:25
You can run the main-sheet and jib-sheet directly from the clutches under the Sprayhood and down to the aft winches.

On my Hanse370 there's German main sheeting in front of the Sprayhood and I can trim both main and jib with one hand and the other hand on the wheel(got electric winches...)

German-sheeting is also out of the way, when you want to have the cockpit-tent up.

German-sheeting is for comfort whereas cockpit-traveler is for racing. 

It is correct that German-Sheeting put a lot of stress on the mid-section of the boom. I have not have had any trouble in that regard. But There has be a significant wear on the shackle holding the main block on the German-sheeting system.
As I never use the small traveler and always keep it center, I consider removing it and change it to the same layout as on the new Hanses like this: (from Hanse homepage)
This looks Like you would have a main sheet in both sides, but I would make it with only one end in the cockpit.

Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 16:30
This item was dicussed in Hanse 371/"Skødeskinne på ruf", As you can see, I changed the system back in 2010, and it has worked just fine since then.

Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
SFagain View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 18:34
Thanks, Captaion Cook for the photo - that really helps clarify how to set that system up. It certainly cleans things up! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>