myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Location for Cruising Chute Blocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Location for Cruising Chute Blocks
    Posted: 27 November 2018 at 09:35
I have bought a cruising Chute for my 2007 315 and was wanting to know where and how to attach the blocks for the sheets.
I am considering drilling holes in the toe rails to attach but where?
Catfan View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 16:23
Hi Roaboat,
It might be similar to my 2008 350: no drilling needed. There should be an eyelet at the foot of both front ends of the pushpit where you can attach the blocks.
Regards,
Catfan
Roaboat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 16:27
Yes, thank you that makes sense and my 315 does have the pushpit eyelets.
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 20:18
I would not recommend using either the aluminium gunnel rail or loops on pushpin, both are quite weak and not ideally suited to snatch loads.

Use webbing or dyneema loops around your rear deck cleats, these are the strongest attachment point of your deck. It also means you can remove and store out of the weather the blocks when not in use.

Edited by StavrosNZ - 28 November 2018 at 02:12
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Roaboat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 08:13
Thank you Stavros. That is an elegant and simple solution. Much appreciated.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 09:03
I agree with StavrosNZ about fixing things to the pushpit. The base of the stanchion is probably the same as the pulpit which consists of a 6mm welded stud to the end. A number of earlier 311's have had the pulpit ones fail due to the pressure on the guardrail so one might expect  similar to any slight upward strain on the post of the pushpit to end with the same result
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 13:32
On Scotch Mist - 2005 312, I used the pushpit eyelets and frequently flew the spinnaker. Never any hint of an issue about insufficient strength. 
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 15:27
If you look at this thread and the related ones, you can see how I set up the tack line so it can be adjusted from the cockpit.

http://www.myhanse.com/bullseye-for-tackline_topic10634_post89225.html?KW=chute#89225

You may also find some of the related thread of use on how I hoist and lower the chute.

http://www.myhanse.com/snuffers_topic10698_post89894.html?KW=chute#89894
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 20:49
in a light constant breeze the pushpit loops are ok but look at what is recommended as block size for your spinnaker/gennaker based on its m2, the block load calculators loads can be applied to fitting needed to hold them and its much higher than the thin walled pushpin can take.

Deck cleats are very strong and ideal for this application.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Roaboat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2018 at 08:17
Many thanks for the advice. Used loops through the cleats and worked perfectly and easily removable.
I was going to post a pic of the spinnaker flying but don't know how and unsure of the etiquette.
2007 Hanse 315 'Lyra' based in Cumbria, UK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>